Are there any known work arrounds, so that the sum of all processes
may exceed the amount of available ram?

Thank you in advance, Clemens
Re: OOM-Killer is active on Nokia 770 despite >128mb of free swap [ In reply to ]
Clemens Eisserer wrote at 2014-09-10 03:10 -0500:
> I would like to use my Nokia 770 running OS2008HE as home server,
> running debian wheezy (with a recompiled eglibc for linux-2.6.16
> compatibility).
> However, despite 256mb swap (swappiness=1) the OOM killer frequently
> kills processes.
>
> Was the Nokia 770 kernel patched with some kind of "enhanced" memory management?
> Are there any known work arrounds, so that the sum of all processes
> may exceed the amount of available ram?

I have no idea, but have you tried setting overcommit_memory=2 and
overcommit_ratio= (eg.) 80 in order to disable the OOM killer?
Re: OOM-Killer is active on Nokia 770 despite >128mb of free swap [ In reply to ]
Hi green,

> I have no idea, but have you tried setting overcommit_memory=2 and
> overcommit_ratio= (eg.) 80 in order to disable the OOM killer?

As far as I understand, the issue is not with overcommit - there is
still a lot swap space left.
I've just noticed I had the same issue back in 2009 and wasn't able to solve it.
However, I've found another mentioning of it in the debian bug tracker
("generating locales fails on Nokia770 due to OOM killer despite free
swap). The reporter mentioned setting swappiness=100 solved the
problem for him, so I'll give it a try (and accept the increase in
write-load to the SD card).

br, Clemens