Briefly, I have been a Nokia customer for more than 8 years with my recent phone N900 bought right after its release in Russia in January 2010.
I have never experienced any problems with this phone until recently, when I went to the USA and switched on this phone - the touch screen immediately stopped working. Upon my return to Moscow, I called Nokia hot line, applied to local Moscow repair & maintenance centers (authorised by Nokia), however, the response that I got was that the problem is not about the touch screen, but about the operating system and they cannot do anything about it to return the phone to a normal working mode.

The problem is that I have lost all the data - the address book, messages, notes, photos, everything. I have never made back ups for my Nokia phones.

Can you please advise if there is at least a little chance to retrieve the data from the phone and if yes, how can it be done?
Would be grateful for your response.

Best regards,
Elena

P.S. I am located in Moscow, you can reach me either via this e-mail or at my cell: + 7 903 961 20 94 (may be someone is based in Moscow as well?)
Re: Maemo 5 on Nokia N900 had a downfall - please advise how to retrive data from the phone [ In reply to ]
Hi Elena,

It would help to know exact answer from the support center. What did they
indicate as an exact problem? Does phone boot at all? When you connect your
phone through cable to PC does it connect as Mass storage device or
anything like that? For the latter question indicate whether you use PCSuite
or not.

Thanks, Daniil

Re: Maemo 5 on Nokia N900 had a downfall - please advise how to retrive data from the phone [ In reply to ]
Hi Elena,

I would recommend you to register at talk.maemo.org and/or join #maemo IRC on freenode.net. There are lots of helpful guys there with deep knowledge of Maemo 5 (the operating system your device runs) internals and I am sure they will be able to help you if humanly possible. I recommend you to both register at talk.maemo.org and ask for help there and to join #maemo. The latter most probably will be the fastest way for you to recover your data (and your device).

http://talk.maemo.org
http://wiki.maemo.org/IRC#List_of_IRC_channels

Regards,
Ivo