Mailing List Archive

OpenCV problem
Hello all,

I'm trying to use OpenCV on my Nokia N900, my first goal was to install the
libcv4.

I tried to use X-Terminal sudo gainroot and then apt-get install libcv4,
then i got:
Some packages could not be installed. THis may mean that you have requested
an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that
some required packages ave now yest been created or been moved out of
incoming..."

The following pakcages have unmet dependencies:
libvcv4: Depends:libavcodec52 (>=3:0.svn20090303-1) but it is not goint to
be installed or (lot of spaces) libavcodec-extra-52 (>=3:0.svn20090303-1)
but it is not installable
Depends:libavformat52 (>=3:0.svn20090303-1)but it is not going to be
installed or (lot of spaces)
libavformat-extra-52 (>=3:0.svn20090303-1) but it is not installable
E:Broken packages.

i tried to install missing lib separte, apt-get install libavcodec52
--->libspeex1 =>package libspeex1 is not available, but is referred to by
an other package.... (if this information is important just tell me and i
will add the rest of it...)

Then i mailed Daniil Ivanov who was very kind and replay with :
1. Enable Extras-Devel repository.
2. apt-get update
3. apt-get intstall libcv4

but i got the same result, so now i pretty much stuck and dont really know
what else i can do , so any help will be very appricate.

My product info is:
Nokia N900
Maemo 5
Version 21.2011.38-1

if any information is needed and missing pls let me know and i will add it,

eyal
Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Eyal,

below link will help ..
http://maemo.org/packages/view/libcv4/

you need to enable Extras-devel or Extras-testing in the repository manager
and then apt-get update

Thanks
Shamsul

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Hello Shamsul,

Thanks for the resposns.

I enable the Extras-devel repository.
when i write the apt-get update i get a list of update and then(i started
from the last line that is good.. )
Hit http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/non-free packages
W: Failed to fetch
http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fremantle/sdk/fremantle/binary-armel/packages404
Not Found [IP:81.218.31.152 80]

W:Failed to fetch
http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fremantle/sdk/non/binary-armel/packages404
Not Found [IP:81.218.31.152 80]

E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

and i get the same error, the i mention before about the dependencies...

i will add, that i even tried to surf from the N900 to this site go to "
Fremantle Extras-devel free armel " libcv4 2.0.0-5 (both of them) and
download and install the .deb file and then i get
"unable to install 'libcv4'. Incompatible application package.
so what else can i do?

eyal

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Shamsul, are you sure your repo is added properly? I have extras-devel
link added to fapman (faster application manager) as follows:

Name: extras-devel
Components: free non-free

I do a:

~ $ root

and then:

orb:~# apt-get install libcv4

and I get the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libavcodec52 libavformat52 libavutil49 libfaad2-0 libtheora0 libvorbis0a
libvorbisenc2
libavcodec52 libavformat52 libavutil49 libcv4 libfaad2-0 libtheora0
libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2
0 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.
Need to get 5556kB of archives.
After this operation, 13.0MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Hello Abubaker,

i setup the extras-devel repository by
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-devel#How_to_activate_Extras-devel , it says
only to write fremantle not fremantle-1.3 but i change it anyway and still
i get the same error msg.

Is there anything else that i can do?? if i will "format" the machine will
it help?? what else can i do?

any idea will be apprciate.

eyal

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Eyal!

Could you please post full output of apt-get update,
so we can see what exactly configured and was update successful or not.

You can save do it conveniently by saving output to a file:
apt-get update &> my.log
Just in case: "pwd" shows a current working path where file is saved.

Thanks, Daniil

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
yes do ..
apt-get clean
apt-get update

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
sending my email again, the last one got held cuz it exceeded 20k in the
body message. Strange.
Anyway I wrote:

oh :) ... sorry for the misunderstanding

since you wrote:

> Could you please post full output of apt-get update,

I was further telling Eyal that do a "apt-get clean" first and then the
"update" of it, and then paste the logs here.
Just wanted him to do a "clean" first.

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Hello

i did the:
apt-get clear , and i got new line i think it's ok.
but then i wrote apt-get update &>eyal.log and it writes a lot of stuff
and then the errors i wrote before, but i dont get a new line until i will
press enter..

then i use midnight Comm in order to copy the file to a place where i can
use(copy to windows 8 file system) or using the mail app to send it (i cant
reach it using the nokia pc-connectivity or the mass storage.. ) but it
seems the file is empty...

eyal

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Eyal Erez <erezfm@gmail.com> wrote:
> but then i wrote apt-get update &>eyal.log and it writes a lot of stuff and
> then the errors i wrote before, but i dont get a new line until i will press
> enter..

This command redirects both error stream and output stream to a file, you should
see exactly nothing until apt-get quits. Also I didn't notice you were
mentioning
errors at update phase. Could you please provide exact error messages?

> then i use midnight Comm in order to copy the file to a place where i can
> use(copy to windows 8 file system) or using the mail app to send it (i cant
> reach it using the nokia pc-connectivity or the mass storage.. ) but it
> seems the file is empty...

In mass storage mode /home/user/MyDocs/ gets mounted to your PC.
However, when you start X terminal a working directory is /home/user/
So to make it easier for yourself you have two options:
1. Use ssh with USB-networking. AFAIK it didn't work on Windows 7,
does Windows 8 has a driver for networking over USB?
2. Execute "cd MyDocs" before apt-get update &> eyal.log, then mount
phone to PC in Mass storage mode and copy the file.

Also consider using Linux for Linux development. It will make your life easier.

Thanks, Daniil
Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
I'm thinking about using linux, i even install it, but i'm not familier
with that and i'm not that familier with Nokia OS(Meamo) so i try minimize
that things that i don't know ..

i type "apt-get quits" and i get : "E:Invalid opertion quits"
then i type "exit" twice and close the X-Terminal and still the file is
empty.
what can i do to solve this?
i also check and i can reach the file in windows but i's empty

The error msg that i get are :

"Hit http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/non-free packages
W: Failed to fetch
http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fremantle/sdk/fremantle/binary-armel/packages
404
Not Found [IP:81.218.31.152 80]

W:Failed to fetch
http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fremantle/sdk/non/binary-armel/packages 404
Not Found [IP:81.218.31.152 80]

E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
used instead."

Thank,
Eyal

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Eyal Erez <erezfm@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking about using linux, i even install it, but i'm not familier with
> that and i'm not that familier with Nokia OS(Meamo) so i try minimize that
> things that i don't know ..

The name of OS is Maemo, and it's actually Debian based, so it shares
many tools with Debian and Ubuntu, making it much easier to do things
there.

> i type "apt-get quits" and i get : "E:Invalid opertion quits"

Whenever in future you have doubts about what commands parameters are
and what they actually do,
consult their manual pages:
http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

> then i type "exit" twice and close the X-Terminal and still the file is
> empty.
> what can i do to solve this?
> i also check and i can reach the file in windows but i's empty

I'm puzzled why this happens for you. Maybe you interrupt apt-get
before it's able to produce
any error messages.

> The error msg that i get are :
>
> "Hit http://repository.maemo.org fremantle/non-free packages
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fremantle/sdk/fremantle/binary-armel/packages
> 404 Not Found [IP:81.218.31.152 80]
>
> W:Failed to fetch
> http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fremantle/sdk/non/binary-armel/packages
> 404 Not Found [IP:81.218.31.152 80]
>
> E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
> used instead."

I don't have N900 any more, so I cannot check. But it looks like it's
related to configuration of Nokia closed source packages. You need to
fetch the key afer signing the EULA and let apt know the key as it's
explained in the page
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/eula/index.php

This command will show the content of apt current configuration in command line:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

Thanks, Daniil.
Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Could anyone please share content of /etc/apt/sources.list
and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ from their N900 for a cross check?

Thanks, Daniil

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
sorry i didnt do a reply-all, so sending again:

my /etc/apt/sources.list is empty.

/etc/apt/souces.list.d/ has "hildon-application-manager.list" which
contains:

deb https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/ssu/apps/ ./
deb https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle/ssu/003 ./
deb https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle1.2/ovi/ ./
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ fremantle-1.3 free non-free
deb http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/ fremantle-1.3 free non-free

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Thank you very mych, Abubakar!

As I expected there is no really SDK repository as it's not meant to
be used on the device.
My guess would be that apt configuration on Eyal's N900 was messed up
at some point and now
have to be restored to pristine state to work again.

Thanks, Daniil

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Well, that's doesn't sound good for me.

So is there a manual how to reset the phone, in a way that i will ensure
that i could work with OpenCV afterwards??

Again, thank u very much for the help and info
Great appreciation to all.

eyal

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Well one option is to flash your phone and you can read instructions here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware.
You can use the built-in Backup application to take a backup, put it on
your pc and flash the cell phone and then transfer back the backup to phone
and restore it (using mass storage option).
That flashing info page contains info for many maemo devces other then
n900, so try to focus on the right things :)

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Apparently, it would be much easier to place content you've posted to
/etc/apt/souces.list.d/hildon-application-manager.list
and make sure that /etc/apt/sources.list is empty.

Thanks, Daniil

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Ok so to the Result:

i added the lines that were missing in the
/etc/apt/souces.list.d/"hildon-application-manager.list" file. as abubakar
wrote.
did apt-get update
and then apt-get install libcv4 -->and it's seems to be working.

now First of ALL i want to thank Daniil and abubakar for all the help...

thanks a lot guys.

now does anybody know how i can check that everything is working , some
small code to check the system?

Again thanks a lot guys

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
You are welcome!
GNU/Linux consist of a lot of subsystems. Each must be checked to make
sure everything is working properly. On the other hand, when something is
not working, user will likely notice, so no need for a code.

Thanks, Daniil

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
no, i ment if there is an example on how to check that the opencv lib is
working.

some small code that i can know that i can use opencv...

eyal

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Do you have the Maemo SDK? I have not used opencv before, but I think if
you try to find some code of it and then build it in the maemo sdk and
transfer to the device, you'll have what you'll need.
Also google for: OpenCV N900
you'll come across some posts on talk.maemo.org that'll help you. For N900
sometimes a very helpful search is at http://maemo.org/packages, I was
looking for opencv there and found this:

http://maemo.org/packages/view/opencv-doc/ says: *This package contains the
OpenCV documentation and example programs.*

Also I found this http://paperairoplane.net/?p=274

Re: OpenCV problem [ In reply to ]
Hi Eyal,

Could you please paste the error you are getting while compilation.

Thanks
Shamsul

"Courage is contagious"