for the N900/Maemo5? SDK Virtual Machine? MADDE? Is qt-creator going
to be able to cross-compile to maemo target in my native Linux PC
environment in the near future? Can I develop in qt-creator and then
compile in the other environment? Since I'm just starting from scratch
I'm open to any suggestions... I realize from googling that debugging
in N900 might not be so easy right now and hopefully more IDE-based
support is coming.

I appreciate any advice on where to begin my journey, thanks!
Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
2010/1/22 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm beginning to learn Qt using the book "C++ GUI Programming with Qt
> 4 (2nd Edition)", along with Qt online documentation and Google (of
> course), and I'm also a recent owner of a N900. I use Gentoo Linux &
> KDE4 on my PC and have no problem creating Qt programs to run on my PC
> environment. I'd like to start making some for my N900 as well. For
> now I'll just try to make "hello world". :)
>
> What's the recommended dev environment to produce Qt-based software
> for the N900/Maemo5? SDK Virtual Machine? MADDE? Is qt-creator going
> to be able to cross-compile to maemo target in my native Linux PC
> environment in the near future? Can I develop in qt-creator and then
> compile in the other environment? Since I'm just starting from scratch
> I'm open to any suggestions...  I realize from googling that debugging
> in N900 might not be so easy right now and hopefully more IDE-based
> support is coming.
>
> I appreciate any advice on where to begin my journey, thanks!

Some of these questions are answered here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt4_Hildon#Using_Qt_4.6_Betas_in_Fremantle

Br.
Koos
RE: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
Paul,

Welcome to the wonderful word of QT programming for the N900. I suspect
I'm not much further along than you, but perhaps I can share a few helpful
tips. By the sounds of it, I assume that you have the QT development tools
you need. For the simple apps that I've built, I've used QT Creator. I
haven't done a lot with the IDE but it is nice to work in.

Next, do you have scratchbox installed? I had problems getting scratchbox
2 to install on my Ubuntu laptop, so I ended up with the old scratchbox.
You can read a little bit about my adventures at
Building the Perfect Cellphone: the #iPhone, #droid and #N900
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3844

Once I had scratchbox running, in FREMANTLE_ARMEL mode I could qmake
sample.pro on the project that I created in QT Creator, followed by make.
At this point, I simply copied my executable over to the N900 and it ran
like a champ. I didn need to make sure that I had all the libqt libraries
installed. Currenty, I have
libqt4-maemo5-core (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...
libqt4-maemo5-network (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...
libqt4-maemo5-gui (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...
libqt4-maemo5-xml (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...
libqt4-maemo5-opengl (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...
libqt4-maemo5-phonon (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...
libqt4-maemo5-xmlpatterns (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...
libqt4-maemo5-webkit (4.6.1~git20100122-0maemo1) ...

I didn't do anything too fancy for my beyond hello word program, I built
a counter widget using QPushButton and QObject::connect I can share the
code with you if you want.

Hope this is helps. Feel free to followup with questions or comments.

Aldon
http://www.orient-lodge.com/N900

Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the recommended dev environment to produce Qt-based software
> for the N900/Maemo5? SDK Virtual Machine? MADDE? Is qt-creator going

Right now, you should just use scratchbox (the old one). Luckily, you
can do most of the development as normal qt desktop app first, which
is quite convenient.

> to be able to cross-compile to maemo target in my native Linux PC
> environment in the near future? Can I develop in qt-creator and then
> compile in the other environment? Since I'm just starting from scratch

Yes, you can open the project file that is residing in scratchbox home
directory and code/test normally, and occasionally make maemo builds
(x86 sbox / armel) and test in scratchbox / device. Of course you
could use creator just as a top notch code editor and do all the
compiing/testing in scratchbox, but for many applications you won't
need to do much of that, at least in most phases of development.

--
Ville M. Vainio
http://tinyurl.com/vainio
Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
Hi Paul,

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the recommended dev environment to produce Qt-based software
> for the N900/Maemo5? SDK Virtual Machine? MADDE? Is qt-creator going
> to be able to cross-compile to maemo target in my native Linux PC
> environment in the near future? Can I develop in qt-creator and then
> compile in the other environment? Since I'm just starting from scratch
> I'm open to any suggestions... I realize from googling that debugging
> in N900 might not be so easy right now and hopefully more IDE-based
> support is coming.

Given your experience and focus you might want to have a go at MADDE
as you suggested yourself and report success /failure here.

see the blog post here
http://maemoteam.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/a-small-presentpreview-from-the-developer-platform-team/

general information about MADDE here
http://wiki.maemo.org/MADDE

and the hello world qt tutorial here
http://wiki.maemo.org/MADDE/Qt_Example

Still the normal and most used way is to use sbox.

Greetings
Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
Kees Jongenburger wrote:
> Given your experience and focus you might want to have a go at MADDE
> as you suggested yourself and report success /failure here.

I just discovered MADDE (your post) and I tried to download it.
Unfortunatly, http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/MADDE.php seems to be down.
Is this a known problem? Can I get MADDE elsewhere?

greetings, Klaus

--
Klaus Rotter * klaus at rotters dot de * www.rotters.de
Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
Am Samstag, den 23.01.2010, 20:32 +0100 schrieb Klaus Rotter:
> I just discovered MADDE (your post) and I tried to download it.
> Unfortunatly, http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/MADDE.php seems to be down.
> Is this a known problem? Can I get MADDE elsewhere?

Works fine here, just tried.

andre

--
Andre Klapper (maemo.org bugmaster)

Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
On Jan 23, 2010, at 14:54, Kees Jongenburger wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Paul Hartman
> <paul.hartman+maemo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What's the recommended dev environment to produce Qt-based software
>> for the N900/Maemo5? SDK Virtual Machine? MADDE? Is qt-creator going
>> to be able to cross-compile to maemo target in my native Linux PC
>> environment in the near future? Can I develop in qt-creator and then
>> compile in the other environment? Since I'm just starting from scratch
>> I'm open to any suggestions... I realize from googling that debugging
>> in N900 might not be so easy right now and hopefully more IDE-based
>> support is coming.
>
> Given your experience and focus you might want to have a go at MADDE
> as you suggested yourself and report success /failure here.
>
> see the blog post here
> http://maemoteam.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/a-small-presentpreview-from-the-developer-platform-team/
>
> general information about MADDE here
> http://wiki.maemo.org/MADDE
>
> and the hello world qt tutorial here
> http://wiki.maemo.org/MADDE/Qt_Example

I strongly recommend MADDE. It has been designed with Qt apps in mind. It surely will be widely used since it is much easier to set up and also more stable than scratchbox at least in my experience. Please note that it is a fairly recent tool, so you may find breakage.

MADDE also offers a complete set of tools. It even helps to build packages which for many people is a hassle they'd rather not deal with. I am looking to incorporate maemian checks into MADDE since it has a lot of perl code and Lintian is written in perl so we can re-use a lot of debian perl code to check packages.

MADDE seems to have some strong support from Nokia, so if it breaks we might get help from the boys and girls in Helsinki. :-) /me waves o/

Even though MADDE has recently come on the scene, there are some tested tools used in the background, so I expect MADDE to be fairly stable. But I am sure they will welcome bug reports. :)

Jeremiah

Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
Andre Klapper wrote:
> Works fine here, just tried.

Yes, today I didn't had a problem to download the file. Don't know what was the problem yesterday.

Greetings, Klaus

--
Klaus Rotter * klaus at rotters dot de * www.rotters.de

Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Klaus Rotter <klaus@rotters.de> wrote:
> Andre Klapper wrote:
>> Works fine here, just tried.
>
> Yes, today I didn't had a problem to download the file. Don't know what was the problem yesterday.

It was down for me, too (gave some kind of error page). Now it's back
and I was able to download and install MADDE on a Windows XP host, and
have been successful in compiling & running the simple "hello world"
example. Wasn't able to get USB link working (windows wanted RNDIS
drivers...) so I just manually copied the file & installed. It worked
and can't get any easier than that. I'll set it up on my linux machine
later & it looks like the USB networking will be easier to configure
there.

Thanks all for the advice & I'll check out scratchbox as well.
Re: New to N900 and Qt, what's the best place to start? [ In reply to ]
I too didn't manage to get the USB to work. But I found out that WLAN
does and it's much better as there is no need for cables. ;-)

Cheers,

Sascha

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 01:40, Paul Hartman