Mailing List Archive

Maemo Community Council Membership
Hi all,

I'd like to announce my candidacy for the upcoming Maemo Community Council elections.

You may know me as Feathers McGraw - I was a bit late to the TMO party, but like many before me it was the N900 that brought me in. I quickly found the forums to be a useful source of information, and a slightly less useful but nevertheless entertaining source of off topic chat.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Jolla 1 to play with until the Neo900 arrived. Since then I've released a couple of apps for Sailfish, and have run it on a few different devices with community ports (Nexus 5, Fairphone 2).

I must confess, I am currently running Fairphone Open Source OS (Android variant without Google Play services) on the Fairphone 2. I will understand if you don't want to elect me for this treasonous act!

I'm currently employed as a Civil Engineer. What I know of programming, packaging and system administration is self taught. I find Linux really interesting, and enjoy passing on what I've learned to others (e.g. raspberry pi email server tutorials on my site). Whenever possible I make use of free software to host my own services instead of relying on third parties.

Privacy, security and self-sufficiency are what motivate me to use Linux. I appreciate TMO for being one of the places where privacy and security are valued - much rarer in the mobile/handheld landscape than on desktop PCs.

Sam (Feathers McGraw)