Mailing List Archive

Re: [admin] Mailing list / webserver move
On 2000-11-16T13:55:19,
Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@suse.de> said:

> I will switch the mailing list over some time today, so please do not be
> alarmed too much if there is a short outage.

The mailing list has moved now too.

It appears there was a slight problem with DNS propagation for a few hours,
but this should have fixed itself too.

To bring in a famous quote: "we have normality, I repeat we have
normality....Anything else you still can't cope with is therefore your own
problem"... ;-)

Seriously, if anything doesn't work as expected, please drop me a line.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>
Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl
Re: [admin] Mailing list / webserver move [ In reply to ]
I don't know if this is DNS related or not, but I have noticed two problems:

1) I am getting duplicate copies of just about every message

2) Some of the messages are a few days old (Horms' response to Sparc
query, for example, and I think Joseph's response to the database question,
although I could be wrong about the latter).

The second problem sounds like perhaps there was something left in the
mail queue after you restored a system? Just guessing.

Anyway, it is not a terrible problem, but if the traffic goes up getting
two of everything could be a problem for some.

--
John Cronin
Re: [admin] Mailing list / webserver move [ In reply to ]
On 2000-11-21T09:11:08,
John Cronin <jsc3@havoc.gtf.org> said:

> 1) I am getting duplicate copies of just about every message

Unfortunately, due to the (pre-announced) switch over, people sent their
messages twice, because they felt it took too long for the message to go
through... This is rather difficult to fix in the software and should stop
happening now that we have reached normality ;-)

Keep in mind that with 560 subscribers, there are bound to be a few who
overreact.

> 2) Some of the messages are a few days old (Horms' response to Sparc
> query, for example, and I think Joseph's response to the database question,
> although I could be wrong about the latter).

This is not related to the mailing list software either.

> The second problem sounds like perhaps there was something left in the
> mail queue after you restored a system? Just guessing.

I didn't restore anything - the new system is completely independant of the
old one.

> Anyway, it is not a terrible problem, but if the traffic goes up getting
> two of everything could be a problem for some.

Well, it certainly would be a problem for myself ;-)

Re: [admin] Mailing list / webserver move [ In reply to ]
John Cronin wrote:

> I don't know if this is DNS related or not, but I have noticed two problems:
>
> 1) I am getting duplicate copies of just about every message
>
> 2) Some of the messages are a few days old (Horms' response to Sparc
> query, for example, and I think Joseph's response to the database question,
> although I could be wrong about the latter).
>
> The second problem sounds like perhaps there was something left in the
> mail queue after you restored a system? Just guessing.
>
> Anyway, it is not a terrible problem, but if the traffic goes up getting
> two of everything could be a problem for some.
>
> --
> John Cronin

Yep, the same for me here. I reckon we just wait some more days to
flatten things down. If we still encounter strange problems we bark
up on Lars ;)

ratz

--
mailto: `echo NrOatSz@tPacA.cMh | sed 's/[NOSPAM]//g'`