Thanks so much!

Best,
Aman
Re: [lvs-users] Exploring the possibility of using LVS as a gateway/router [ In reply to ]
Amanpreet Singh <aps.sids@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm curious to see if it can also work as a linux gateway/router, where
> instead of load balancing a specific service IP/port, it can route traffic
> based on routes in kernel routing table or otherwise.

The kernel does exactly that without LVS.

> The reason this interests me is that if this works with the DR method, it
> can theoretically reduce the load on a normal NAT gateway/router.

It isn't clear to me what you miss from the standard kernel routing. If
you don't do NAT, you do DR.
Feri

Re: [lvs-users] Exploring the possibility of using LVS as a gateway/router [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your response.

> The reason this interests me is that if this works with the DR method, it
> > can theoretically reduce the load on a normal NAT gateway/router.
>
> It isn't clear to me what you miss from the standard kernel routing. If
> you don't do NAT, you do DR.

Oh. I thought standard kernel routing wasn't possible without NAT. All the
info I've managed to find so far is NAT-related.
Could you please point me to a resource about how to do standard routing
without NAT?

Thanks again!

Best,
Aman
Re: [lvs-users] Exploring the possibility of using LVS as a gateway/router [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 8:22 AM Amanpreet Singh <aps.sids@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you please point me to a resource about how to do standard routing
> without NAT?

Umm, are you asking how basically linux can be used for routing? It
can, in an incredible number of different ways / scenarios...

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/

Basic approach: enable ip forwarding (see your /etc/sysctl.conf /
google for "linux ip_forward"), and if you have iptables enabled, fill
your FORWARD chain with suitable stuff...

best regards
Patrick