Mailing List Archive

[lvs-users] What distro/kernel do you run for latest IPVS code in production
Hi,

We use IPVS for our load balancers currently on an old version of linux so
we haven't been able to take advantage of any newer features and bug fixes.
We're about to upgrade to a more modern version of Centos 7 but still the
kernel in these distributions are not quite where all the development
effort is focused.

What do people who use IPVS in production use for their distribution if
they want to take advantage of recent updates and fixes? Do you use more
recent kernels on older distributions?

This sort of relates to my other email about WLC algorithm, and if the slow
start feature were added at some point we might not be running a kernel new
enough to take advantage of it.

Thanks,

Phillip Moore
Re: [lvs-users] What distro/kernel do you run for latest IPVS code in production [ In reply to ]
Phillip:

In LVS-TUN (using ipip) configurations our real servers cannot have a 4.x
due to a bug in the kernel. I have raised the bug here and have let RedHat
know (nobody seems to want to fix it).

Thanks!

-Timothy

Re: [lvs-users] What distro/kernel do you run for latest IPVS code in production [ In reply to ]
Timothy,

Do you have a link to that bug? We use tun/ipip as well. I have done no
testing on 4.x kernels yet.

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 3:11 PM, Timothy R. Weiand <timothy.weiand@gmail.com

Re: [lvs-users] What distro/kernel do you run for latest IPVS code in production [ In reply to ]
Phillip:

I have not been able to determine where to submit this bug and the data
associated. If you have the location that I should be reporting this bug I
can do it ASAP.

FYI - I have reproduced both in AWS and on VMware Fusion.

Thanks!
-Timothy

Re: [lvs-users] What distro/kernel do you run for latest IPVS code in production [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Phillip Moore <pdm@pobox.com> wrote:

> Timothy,
>
> Do you have a link to that bug? We use tun/ipip as well. I have done no
> testing on 4.x kernels yet.

?Same. Please reference the bug since this is the first I've heard of it.

Ryan?

Re: [lvs-users] What distro/kernel do you run for latest IPVS code in production [ In reply to ]
Ryan:

Which bug tracking system should this go into?

Thanks!
-Timothy