Mailing List Archive

[lvs-users] Load Balancing SMTP with direct routing
Hello list, I will wish to implement an architecture of outgoing mail
servers. We already have a SQL load balancer. Here is my plan. All ports
are standard and LVS is configured with direct routing

1. Web server response directly to a client
2. Mysql server repose directly to a web server
3. Servers generate emails and push email to a load balancer on port 25
4. Mail servers send mails to different recipients.

INTERNET

+------+
|ROUTER|
+------+

+---+----+
Outbound mail server<-------| LVS |-----------> Web server
+---+----+

+-----------------------+----------------------------------+
| |
| |
Servers that generate emails. Mysql Server

Here is my set :
# ====================
# OUTBOUND MAIL SERVER
# ====================
virtual=10.0.0.102:25
emailalert="admin@meteoconsult.fr"
real=10.0.0.96:25 gate
real=10.0.0.97:25 gate
real=10.0.0.98:25 gate
real=10.0.0.97:25 gate
service=smtp
scheduler=rr
fallback=127.0.0.1:25 gate
protocol=tcp
checktype=negotiate

On outbound mail server, I add in a rc.local :
/bin/echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_ignore
/bin/echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_announce
/sbin/ifconfig lo:0 10.0.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.255 up

However nothing works. When I make a test with telnet :
- through the load balancer:
---
telnet 10.0.0.102 25
Trying 10.0.0.102...
---

- directly to the mail server :
---
telnet 10.0.0.96 25
Trying 10.0.0.96...
Connected to 10.0.0.96.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ESMTP Exim 4.80 Thu, 16 Oct 2014 13:58:49 +0200
---

Do you have any idea? I'm a bit stuck.

Thank you to all.

Re: [lvs-users] Load Balancing SMTP with direct routing [ In reply to ]
> On Oct 16, 2014, at 5:02 AM, Alexandre <infos@opendoc.net> wrote:
>
> Hello list, I will wish to implement an architecture of outgoing mail
> servers. We already have a SQL load balancer. Here is my plan. All ports
> are standard and LVS is configured with direct routing
>
> 1. Web server response directly to a client
> 2. Mysql server repose directly to a web server
> 3. Servers generate emails and push email to a load balancer on port 25
> 4. Mail servers send mails to different recipients.
>
> INTERNET
> |
> +------+
> |ROUTER|
> +------+
> |

> +---+----+
> Outbound mail server<-------| LVS |-----------> Web server
> +---+----+
> |

> +-----------------------+----------------------------------+
> | |
> | |
> Servers that generate emails. Mysql Server
>

> Here is my set :
> # ====================
> # OUTBOUND MAIL SERVER
> # ====================
> virtual=10.0.0.102:25
> emailalert="admin@meteoconsult.fr"
> real=10.0.0.96:25 gate
> real=10.0.0.97:25 gate
> real=10.0.0.98:25 gate
> real=10.0.0.97:25 gate
> service=smtp
> scheduler=rr
> fallback=127.0.0.1:25 gate
> protocol=tcp
> checktype=negotiate
>

> On outbound mail server, I add in a rc.local :
> /bin/echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_ignore
> /bin/echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_announce
> /sbin/ifconfig lo:0 10.0.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.255 up
>
> However nothing works. When I make a test with telnet :
> - through the load balancer:
> ---
> telnet 10.0.0.102 25
> Trying 10.0.0.102...
> ---

Do you have port 25 blocked on the loadbalancer? Check your firewall on the loadbalancer. Also can you paste the output of ipvsadm -L -n ?

Re: [lvs-users] Load Balancing SMTP with direct routing [ In reply to ]
On 10/16/14 17:07, Alex Attarian wrote:

>> On Oct 16, 2014, at 5:02 AM, Alexandre <infos@opendoc.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello list, I will wish to implement an architecture of outgoing mail
>> servers. We already have a SQL load balancer. Here is my plan. All ports
>> are standard and LVS is configured with direct routing
>>
>> 1. Web server response directly to a client
>> 2. Mysql server repose directly to a web server
>> 3. Servers generate emails and push email to a load balancer on port 25
>> 4. Mail servers send mails to different recipients.
>>
>> INTERNET
>> |
>> +------+
>> |ROUTER|
>> +------+
>> |

>> +---+----+
>> Outbound mail server<-------| LVS |-----------> Web server
>> +---+----+
>> |

>> +-----------------------+----------------------------------+
>> | |
>> | |
>> Servers that generate emails. Mysql Server
>>

>> Here is my set :
>> # ====================
>> # OUTBOUND MAIL SERVER
>> # ====================
>> virtual=10.0.0.102:25
>> emailalert="admin@meteoconsult.fr"
>> real=10.0.0.96:25 gate
>> real=10.0.0.97:25 gate
>> real=10.0.0.98:25 gate
>> real=10.0.0.97:25 gate
>> service=smtp
>> scheduler=rr
>> fallback=127.0.0.1:25 gate
>> protocol=tcp
>> checktype=negotiate
>>

>> On outbound mail server, I add in a rc.local :
>> /bin/echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_ignore
>> /bin/echo 2 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/arp_announce
>> /sbin/ifconfig lo:0 10.0.0.102 netmask 255.255.255.255 up
>>
>> However nothing works. When I make a test with telnet :
>> - through the load balancer:
>> ---
>> telnet 10.0.0.102 25
>> Trying 10.0.0.102...
>> telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>> ---
>
> Do you have port 25 blocked on the loadbalancer? Check your firewall on the loadbalancer. Also can you paste the output of ipvsadm -L -n ?

Hi, I think the firewall is not enable :
---
iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
---

This is the output :
---
ipvsadm -L -n
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
-> RemoteAddress:Port Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP 10.0.0.102:25 rr
-> 10.0.0.96:25 Route 1 0 0
-> 10.0.0.97:25 Route 0 0 0
-> 10.0.0.98:25 Route 0 0 0
---
Just 10.0.0.96 is active.

Thx

Alex.

Re: [lvs-users] Load Balancing SMTP with direct routing [ In reply to ]
Sorry, I am stupid, i do not modifify exim4 configuration for listen on
loopback. In /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf

---
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1; 10.0.0.96; 10.0.0.102'
---

Now
---
telnet 10.0.0.102 25
Trying 10.0.0.102...
Connected to 10.0.0.102.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 XXXXXXXXXX ESMTP Exim 4.80 Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:49:14 +0200
---

Thank you to all.

Alex.