[lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ?
In DR mode , whether is the virtual ip a private ip address or public
ip address ?
as the document says ,the realserver and balance loader are in a same
local network , also I want to ask do they need a router
to transform packets to external network ?
--
Best Regards!

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]
Do you need a router?How would we know?

The director must have at least one IP address in the same subnet as
the real server.
Whether it is public or not is up to you.

On 2 January 2014 13:36, Hatt Tom <net.study.sea@gmail.com> wrote:
> In DR mode , whether is the virtual ip a private ip address or public
> ip address ?
> as the document says ,the realserver and balance loader are in a same
> local network , also I want to ask do they need a router
> to transform packets to external network ?
> --
> Best Regards!

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
http://www.loadbalancer.org/

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]
when client send its request from its public ip to the public ip of
my balance loader ,then how does balance loader redirect the request
to vip ?

2014/1/2 Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@loadbalancer.org>:
> Do you need a router?How would we know?
>
> The director must have at least one IP address in the same subnet as
> the real server.
> Whether it is public or not is up to you.
>

> On 2 January 2014 13:36, Hatt Tom <net.study.sea@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In DR mode , whether is the virtual ip a private ip address or public
>> ip address ?
>> as the document says ,the realserver and balance loader are in a same
>> local network , also I want to ask do they need a router
>> to transform packets to external network ?
>> --
>> Best Regards!

> Regards,
>
> Malcolm Turnbull.
>
> Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
> Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
> http://www.loadbalancer.org/

Best Regards!

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]
In DR mode the director changes the destination MAC address of the
packet which goes via your switch to the backend server, source and
destination IP address are not modified in any way.

On 2 January 2014 13:50, Hatt Tom <net.study.sea@gmail.com> wrote:
> when client send its request from its public ip to the public ip of
> my balance loader ,then how does balance loader redirect the request
> to vip ?
>

> 2014/1/2 Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@loadbalancer.org>:
>> Do you need a router?How would we know?
>>
>> The director must have at least one IP address in the same subnet as
>> the real server.
>> Whether it is public or not is up to you.
>>

>> On 2 January 2014 13:36, Hatt Tom <net.study.sea@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In DR mode , whether is the virtual ip a private ip address or public
>>> ip address ?
>>> as the document says ,the realserver and balance loader are in a same
>>> local network , also I want to ask do they need a router
>>> to transform packets to external network ?
>>> --
>>> Best Regards!

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Malcolm Turnbull.
>>
>> Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
>> Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
>> http://www.loadbalancer.org/

> Best Regards!

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
http://www.loadbalancer.org/

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]
whether the switch and balance loader is the same machine?

2014/1/2 Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@loadbalancer.org>:
> In DR mode the director changes the destination MAC address of the
> packet which goes via your switch to the backend server, source and
> destination IP address are not modified in any way.
>

> On 2 January 2014 13:50, Hatt Tom <net.study.sea@gmail.com> wrote:
>> when client send its request from its public ip to the public ip of
>> my balance loader ,then how does balance loader redirect the request
>> to vip ?
>>

>> 2014/1/2 Malcolm Turnbull <malcolm@loadbalancer.org>:
>>> Do you need a router?How would we know?
>>>
>>> The director must have at least one IP address in the same subnet as
>>> the real server.
>>> Whether it is public or not is up to you.

>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Malcolm Turnbull.
>>>
>>> Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
>>> Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
>>> http://www.loadbalancer.org/

>> --
>> Best Regards!

> Regards,
>
> Malcolm Turnbull.
>
> Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
> Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
> http://www.loadbalancer.org/

Best Regards!

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]
Dear Hatt Tom,

> whether the switch and balance loader is the same machine?

The LB are Never BEEN the network,(layer 2/3/4 )switch.

Modern BIG comercialy Build Linux LVS like from loadbalancer.org have an switch build in the appliance ( great stuff ..) .

To build an Simple selfowned & selfmanaged - this are not an requirement.
my damn Homecluster LB L2/L3 switch here at home has cost 10 eur i.e :-) - ok you won´t service PRod with that - but it works.

Regulary with LVS DR .. LB´s and Realservers been connected to the SAME Network using the same network( layer 2/3 )switch(s).
This can be streched across Datacenters over VLAN & VPN usage.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards

Horst Venzke ; PGP NET : 1024G/082F2E6D ; http://www.remsnet.de

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]

> Regulary with LVS DR .. LB´s and Realservers been connected to the SAME Network using the same network( layer 2/3 )switch(s).

does this mean that realserver can access public network not through
lvs director ?

>> Best Regards!

Best Regards!

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]
Yes, in fact it usually has to (director is not usually the gateway in DR mode).

On 3 January 2014 14:07, Hatt Tom <net.study.sea@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Regulary with LVS DR .. LB´s and Realservers been connected to the SAME Network using the same network( layer 2/3 )switch(s).
>
> does this mean that realserver can access public network not through
> lvs director ?

Malcolm Turnbull.

Loadbalancer.org Ltd.
Phone: +44 (0)870 443 8779
http://www.loadbalancer.org/

Re: [lvs-users] the network structure of DR mode ? [ In reply to ]
Dear Hatt Tom,

I may assume you compare other Comercial like Brocade ADX series with Linux LVS DR Mode.
Older Brocade ADX series work allmost equal to Linux LVS NAT.
I had an new Brocade 2k ADX cluster in my hands end last year ,
they still require an "transfer network(natting the realservers)" when streched accross Datacenters.

Thus - Linux LVS Directors are not equal as Brocade Directors.

At Linux LVS NAT the Realserver access public network through/from lvs director witch cause also creating BIG Network Load on lvs director .
Thus for that the sizing of Linux LVS NAT Directors will be Big system resources.

At LVS DR only handel the packet redirect managment, NO NATTING , NOT beeing default router for realservers,
and most Impressive : cause NOT creating big network Load on lvs director .

LVS DR in that way the Most impressive Steaming Tech :
With an smal ( Thin ) Linux DR LB systems < 512MB ram you can Overload an Public +1G line without near ZERO CPU load on the LB , but busy Realservers ;-) .