Mailing List Archive

[lvs-users] High memory usage
Hello,

After setting up LVS with Direct Routing, I noticed that even there is
absolutely no traffic passing through the LB,
the memory usage grows continuously until the whole RAM is filled.

Doing some investigations in /proc/slabinfo, I noticed that the RAM is
used by "dentry":
dentry 18933940 18933940 192 20 1 : tunables 120
60 8 : slabdata 946697 946697 0

The memory can be freed using:
echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

As soon as the memory is cleared, it starts filling up again.

I find this behavior very odd and concerning. If anybody has experienced
something similar, or has any ideas, please share.

OS: CentOS 6.4 64bit
kernel: 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64
latest patches applied via yum update

Thank you!
Radu

Re: [lvs-users] High memory usage [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 16:30:12 +0300
R G <electronbeastie@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After setting up LVS with Direct Routing, I noticed that even there is
> absolutely no traffic passing through the LB,
> the memory usage grows continuously until the whole RAM is filled.
>
> Doing some investigations in /proc/slabinfo, I noticed that the RAM is
> used by "dentry":
> dentry 18933940 18933940 192 20 1 : tunables 120
> 60 8 : slabdata 946697 946697 0

This is the disk caching, this is normal, don't worry!
Nothing is wrong... move along please ;-)

--
Best regards,
Jesper Dangaard Brouer