Mailing List Archive

Re: sorl-ruby facet.method
First, note we have a ruby-dev@lucene.apache.org list which focuses
primarily on the solr-ruby library, flare, and other Ruby specific
things. But this forum is as good as any, though I'm CC'ing ruby-dev
too.

On Mar 5, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Ian Connor wrote:
> Is there a way to specify the facet.method using solr-ruby. I tried
> to add
> it like this:
>
> hash["facet.method"] = @params[:facets][:method] if
> @params[:facets][:method]

That's a reasonable addition, however we're about to do a refactoring
of solr-ruby to bring in the great contributions Matt Mitchell has
been doing with his RSolr project. We're going to strip away all the
parameter mangling/mapping and just simply pass through parameters to
Solr (and leave clever mapping of things like :query -> &q= to folks
that want to add that construct to their own applications).

> to line 78 of standard.rb and it works when you add it to the facets
> Hash.
> However, if there is another place that I could set that would be
> great.

One option is to provide your own request/response classes,
subclassing Solr::Request(and Response)::Standard if you want to just
hack this for now.

> I am also happy to submit a patch on a ticket if that works.

The above being said, I'd gladly commit your patch right away. Submit
it via JIRA and consider it done. We'll do one final release (0.9?)
of the current solr-ruby library before we gut it and simplify it (and
do our best to provide backwards compatibility to the 0.x versions)
for a 1.0 version.

Erik
Re: sorl-ruby facet.method [ In reply to ]
I agree that remapping params is not that much fun. I certainly vote for
just passing them through and it will be easier to keep up with the latest
as well.

I created:

Let me know if there is something else I can do to help.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com>wrote:

> First, note we have a ruby-dev@lucene.apache.org list which focuses
> primarily on the solr-ruby library, flare, and other Ruby specific things.
> But this forum is as good as any, though I'm CC'ing ruby-dev too.
>
> On Mar 5, 2009, at 12:59 PM, Ian Connor wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to specify the facet.method using solr-ruby. I tried to add
>> it like this:
>>
>> hash["facet.method"] = @params[:facets][:method] if
>> @params[:facets][:method]
>>

> That's a reasonable addition, however we're about to do a refactoring of
> solr-ruby to bring in the great contributions Matt Mitchell has been doing
> with his RSolr project. We're going to strip away all the parameter
> mangling/mapping and just simply pass through parameters to Solr (and leave
> clever mapping of things like :query -> &q= to folks that want to add that
> construct to their own applications).
>
> to line 78 of standard.rb and it works when you add it to the facets Hash.
>> However, if there is another place that I could set that would be great.
>>

> One option is to provide your own request/response classes, subclassing
> Solr::Request(and Response)::Standard if you want to just hack this for now.
>
> I am also happy to submit a patch on a ticket if that works.
>>

> The above being said, I'd gladly commit your patch right away. Submit it
> via JIRA and consider it done. We'll do one final release (0.9?) of the
> current solr-ruby library before we gut it and simplify it (and do our best
> to provide backwards compatibility to the 0.x versions) for a 1.0 version.
>
> Erik

Ian Connor
1 Leighton St #723
Cambridge, MA 02141
Call Center Phone: +1 (714) 239 3875 (24 hrs)
Fax: +1(770) 818 5697
Skype: ian.connor