Jakarta just gets better and better.

As near as I can see, the two major changes for 1.2-rc1 are:
switch to org.apache.lucene package names.
Apache license instead of LGPL.

Sometime when someone has a chance, I'd love to hear a bit about what
plans there are for Lucene development.

nelson@monkey.org
. . . . . . . . http://www.media.mit.edu/~nelson/
RE: Lucene has moved to Jakarta [ In reply to ]
> From: nelson@monkey.org [mailto:nelson@monkey.org]
>
> Congratulations on the move!

Thanks!

> As near as I can see, the two major changes for 1.2-rc1 are:
> switch to org.apache.lucene package names.
> Apache license instead of LGPL.

Yes. Thanks for pointing these out. These are big incompatible changes
that I forgot to mention.

Other changes since 1.01b include:
- ant-only build -- no more makefiles
- addition of lock files--now fully thread & process safe
- addition of German stemmer
- MultiSearcher now supports low-level search API
- added RangeQuery, for term-range searching
- Analyzers can choose tokenizer based on field name
- misc bug fixes.

I need to work up detailed release notes for the final 1.2 release.

> Sometime when someone has a chance, I'd love to hear a bit about what
> plans there are for Lucene development.

Let's see, some short term tasks for the 1.2 release:
- get source code back into releases
- clean up example code
- write release notes

Some mid-term tasks:
- add contributed Chinese analyzers
- add Hits.SetOrdering() support
- add some term highlighting support

Longer term tasks:
- add JDBC-based Directory
- optimize simple conjunctive queries
- optionally store document vectors in index

Have I missed your favorite?

Doug
RE: Lucene has moved to Jakarta [ In reply to ]
How about adding filters for different file types such as
-HTML (there is one in the demo already)
-XML
-PDF
-MsWord/RTF
-other common file formats
THanks.

-william

RE: Lucene has moved to Jakarta [ In reply to ]
> From: William Wong [mailto:keng.wong@verizon.net]
>
> How about adding filters for different file types such as
> -HTML (there is one in the demo already)
> -XML
> -PDF
> -MsWord/RTF
> -other common file formats

These would be great. Who will implement them?
I was only listing tasks that I plan to do.

I think the best API for such converters is a method that takes a
java.io.InputStream and returns a java.io.Reader containing plain text,
e.g.:
public static java.io.InputStream getText(java.io.Reader);
That way they can easily be used by Lucene analyzers.

Should we put converters in org.apache.lucene.document?

Contributions anyone?

Doug
RE: Lucene has moved to Jakarta [ In reply to ]
How does i2 do it? http://www.i2a.com/websearch/ -
they list both an HTML parser and a PDF parser as part
of their solution.

http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
RE: Lucene has moved to Jakarta [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I think PDF-indexing would be the greatest after HTML
for any searcher used in web conditions!

I am also very interested in indexing PDFs! If anybody has
some ideas or supporting libs I would help to implement it!

Greetings, Stephan