So, if search for "love OR NOT onion"

Here I was wrong: (nevertheless it not solve described bug)
result must be: doc1, doc2, doc3.
must be:
result must be: doc1, doc2, doc3, doc4. (ALL)

Certainly I understand that people will not compose such complex
queries to search for ALL,
but lucene still do not finds all.

Re: continue "ideo-logic" error in QueryParser and in BooleanQuery ! [ In reply to ]
Actually,

I do not think this is a bug.
You cannot make searches with queries that have only the NOT part.
You cannot ask Lucene to match all documents that do not contain a
certain term. For instance, issuing a 'NOT pretty' will not return
doc1, doc3, doc4.
You have to use that NOT pretty in combination with something else
(AND). For instance 'love AND NOT pretty' should return doc1.

I was about to say that you can check what other search engines do when
you give them just the negation, so I tried av.com and google.com.
AltaVista does return a bunch of matches, but Google doesn't let you
enter such a query.

Otis