Mailing List Archive

eyebrowse database dependency?
Hi folks,

I've been looking at Eyebrowse, an email archive indexing
program built on top of Lucene. Eyebrowse also uses mysql to store
database tables about messages (tables containing mbox filenames,
message locations, authors, subjects, threads, date ranges, etc).
When I was thinking about designing a similar store, I expected that
most of the details could be stored as Lucene fields. Some of them
might be a bit of a stretch, and certainly there would have to be at
least a few non-Lucene details stored elsewhere (like the most recent
mbox file and the location of the end of the most recently indexed
message), but those seem, to my inexperienced eye, tolerable to avoid
the overhead of an entire database added to the system

I believe one of the eyebrowse developers is a member here. I'm
curious as to the design factors that influenced choosing to use a
database in addition to Lucene itself.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com