work: (650) 403-2259
cell: (650) 867-1598
http://www.overture.com/

RE: javac -O ? [ In reply to ]
Winton,

I'm not sure that javac -O actually does anything. From the 1.3 tool
documentation:

"Note: the -O option does nothing in the current implementation of javac
and oldjavac."

In fact, the JDK 1.4 tool documentation doesn't even mention the -O
option (even though "javac -help" still lists the option).

In regards to your earlier email about JVM optimization -- you may want
to check out the Jrockit JVM if you have a chance. I haven't used it
yet, but the features sound interesting for server-side Java
performance. http://www.jrockit.com

Regards,
Matt

RE: javac -O ? [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt,

Thanks!! :-)

Pointers for Rockit look interesting. I'm having some degree of
success with JVM 1.3.1_.10 from Sun -- I think there is a trick to
get the tenuring stuff to work right, just a matter of finding the
right balance of Eden/Old/Survivor space...