as we are considering using it on our external web site.
Thanks much,
Michelle

Re: Meta Tag Question [ In reply to ]
Michelle Michael (michelle.michael@twc.state.tx.us) writes:

> Hello. We currently have an older version of Lucene running on our
> intranet, which I did not install (I'm new to Lucene), and I've been
> testing it out.
>
> I noticed that it appears not to be using meta tag information in
> ranking or in displaying. I was wondering if the newer version will
> allow this sort of configuration (to use meta tag information for
> ranking and possibly displaying).

Lucene is a search engine API, not a search engine application.
Lucene provides all of the tools that a java programmer needs to build
a full-text search index. It does not include a finished application
for end-user use.

If your application doesn't include meta tags, it's because
whoever developed it didn't put in code to parse the meta tags and
store them in the lucene index. To make it do so, get any basically
competent java programmer to extend your application by adding code to
parse the meta tags from the presumably HTML documents and store them
as an extra field in the Lucene documents your application generates.
It should not be a big deal, in terms of development, but it is not
the sort of thing you can do by just flipping a configuration switch.

Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com