This is regarding Lucene component licensing.
The maven repo link https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.lucene/lucene-queries/4.10.4 for lucene-queries 4.10.4 shows Apache 2.0 license associated with the component.
Also, the archive (lucene-queries-4.10.4-sources.jar) uploaded has a LICENSE.txt file which has Apache 2.0 license, but it also includes a NOTICE.txt file which shows JUnit (junit-4.10) licensed under the Common Public License v. 1.0. But there is no code associated with Junit included in the source archive (lucene-queries-4.10.4-sources.jar) file.

In this case, since Common Public License 1.0 is more restrictive compared to Apache 2.0, for our better understanding, can you clarify to us on what is the actual Open Source license associated with the Lucene component?

Mentioning just two of the lucene components in mail as example for your reference "lucene-backward-codecs 9.3.0" https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.lucene/lucene-backward-codecs/9.3.0

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks ,
Open Source Request Team
Re: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Lucene is licensed under the Apache license, just as it says in the
LICENSE file. junit is used for testing Lucene and is not
redistributed with it. Using Lucene in your code does not mean you are
using junit, except in some extremely philosophical sense. EG Lucene
developers may have developed Lucene using Windows on their laptops -
that doesn't mean you need a WIndows license to use Lucene. IANAL, so
you should ask yours - I'm sure someone at Cisco can help you sort
this out?

Re: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
I suppose this begs the question, why are we including NOTICE.txt in our
distribution for *anything* we don't distribute?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

RE: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Hi Team

Hope all is well.
Just touching base for a quick update on the previous mail.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Open Source Request Team

Re: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Hello,

You maybe missed the two responses already to the email, since by default
archived responses here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/zg01tkq8wtmym27q3dolcg1msbtoxoxl

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Tue, Apr 4, 2023 at 8:52?AM external-opensource-requests(mailer list)

RE: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Hello Michael

Thank you for the update.
Going through your response we understand, Junit is used for testing Lucene and is not distributed. In that case, can you’ll update your source repo for Lucene to exclude references to ‘junit’ from Notices.txt file since it is something which is not part of distribution for Lucene.

Thanks,
Open Source Request Team

Re: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
> In that case, can you’ll update your source repo for Lucene to exclude
references to ‘junit’ from Notices.txt file since it is something which is
not part of distribution for Lucene.

That sounds reasonable to me. I'll open an issue in our GitHub repo, but
IANAL and I'm not sure how to specifically proceed.

I opened https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12226 -- let's continue
discussion there?

Thanks for raising this Open Source Request Team at Cisco!

RE: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Thank you, Michael. This will definitely help.

Thanks,
Open Source Request Team

RE: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Hello Michael

The thread https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12226 seems to be Closed now and as per the updates to Cleanup NOTICE.txt https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12227 - JUnit is not packaged in a Lucene release.
But we can still see the Junit reference in Notices.txt file in maven for lucene components, for example https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.lucene/lucene-queries/4.10.4 and https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.lucene/lucene-backward-codecs/9.3.0

Hence, just wanted to confirm exactly which Lucene release is the update/pull request applied to?

Thanks,
Open Source Request Team

Re: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Hello,

That's a great question, and, looking through the GitHub PR that was
merged, it sure is hard to track down whether it was backported to 9.x and
exactly which release.

In the Jira days we would have a clear "fix version" to make this clear.
How does one do this with GitHub issues?

But digging in the commit logs, it looks to me like this fix will be
included in Lucene 9.6.x, the next feature release, which should be
released any day now (the release VOTE just passed yesterday).

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Thank you Mike S for adding the 9.6.0 Milestone tag to the issue!

I wonder if we are able to close an issue AND attach a milestone label in a
commit message? I tried to research a bit and didn't find anything except
all the synonyms for "closes":
https://docs.github.com/en/issues/tracking-your-work-with-issues/linking-a-pull-request-to-an-issue

I'll start a separate thread ...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

RE: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Hello Michael

We do see the fix included in Lucene 9.6.0.
Appreciate your prompt response and thank you so much for resolving the issue!

Regards,

Re: Info required on licensing of Lucene component [ In reply to ]
Wonderful, thank you for raising the issue and bringing closure now! Keep
the issues coming :)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:59?AM external-opensource-requests(mailer list) <