Mailing List Archive

New user questions about demo, downloads, and IRC
Hi all -

I hope these questions are acceptable for this particular list.

I have a combined question re the 9.1.0 demo[1] and the binary release[2]:

the demo suggests that there should be a `core/` directory, as well as
others, however, after unpacking the TAR, I'm not seeing any:
) ls -1
CHANGES.txt
JRE_VERSION_MIGRATION.md
LICENSE.txt
MIGRATE.md
NOTICE.txt
README.md
SYSTEM_REQUIREMENTS.md
bin/
docs/
licenses/
modules/
modules-test-framework/
modules-thirdparty/

Is downloading the source and building the recommended approach here?

Also, are the Lucene folks anywhere on liberachat vs freenode? Many
communities seem to have moved away from freenode and I was curious if that
was the case with Lucene's IRC, or if people were still using freenode (no
big deal either way - just curious!).

Thanks very much for your time!
Best,
Bridger

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/core/9_1_0/demo/index.html
[2] https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/lucene/java/9.1.0/lucene-9.1.0.tgz
Re: New user questions about demo, downloads, and IRC [ In reply to ]
Hi Bridger

Inside

https://dlcdn.apache.org/lucene/java/9.1.0/lucene-9.1.0.tgz

you should find

modules/lucene-core-9.1.0.jar
modules/lucene-queryparser-9.1.0.jar
modules/lucene-analysis-common-9.1.0.jar
modules/lucene-demo-9.1.0.jar

I guess the documentation is not quite right.

Re your second question, there are two channels on Slack

https://app.slack.com/client/T4S1WH2J3/CE70MDPMF (#lucene-dev)
https://app.slack.com/client/T4S1WH2J3/C01E88Y8TQD (#lucene-vector)

HTH

Michael

Re: New user questions about demo, downloads, and IRC [ In reply to ]
Maybe one of the Lucene committers could quickly fix the documentation at

https://github.com/apache/lucene/blob/main/lucene/demo/src/java/overview.html

by replacing "core/" with "modules/"

Takes probably less time than reviewing a PR, but let me know in case
you prefer a PR

Thanks

Michael

Re: New user questions about demo, downloads, and IRC [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael -

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 5:38 PM Michael Wechner <michael.wechner@wyona.com>
wrote:

> Hi Bridger
>
> Inside
>
> https://dlcdn.apache.org/lucene/java/9.1.0/lucene-9.1.0.tgz
>
> you should find
>
> modules/lucene-core-9.1.0.jar
> modules/lucene-queryparser-9.1.0.jar
> modules/lucene-analysis-common-9.1.0.jar
> modules/lucene-demo-9.1.0.jar
>
> Yes, those are there! I wasn't sure if a different directory structure
would be available if building from source, but in any case I'll try
working through the demo.

I guess the documentation is not quite right.

Re your second question, there are two channels on Slack

> https://app.slack.com/client/T4S1WH2J3/CE70MDPMF (#lucene-dev)
> https://app.slack.com/client/T4S1WH2J3/C01E88Y8TQD (#lucene-vector)
>
> Are these channels appropriate places for new user talk/questions?

> HTH
>
> Michael
>
> Very helpful indeed -- thank you very kindly for your time.
Best,

Bridger

Re: New user questions about demo, downloads, and IRC [ In reply to ]
thanks, I fixed the doc!

Re: New user questions about demo, downloads, and IRC [ In reply to ]
great, thanks!