Mailing List Archive

How to tell Lucene index search to stop when it takes too long
Hi,-

I hope everyone is doing great.

i am trying to find an api to tell Lucene Index Searcher to stop after
0.5 seconds (when it takes longer than this).

Is there such an api or plan to implement one?

Best regards

Re: How to tell Lucene index search to stop when it takes too long [ In reply to ]
Hello.

Meet org.apache.lucene.search.TimeLimitingCollector.

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 2:51 PM <baris.kazar@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi,-
>
> I hope everyone is doing great.
>

> i am trying to find an api to tell Lucene Index Searcher to stop after
> 0.5 seconds (when it takes longer than this).
>
> Is there such an api or plan to implement one?
>

> Best regards

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Re: How to tell Lucene index search to stop when it takes too long [ In reply to ]
Will do, Thanks

Re: How to tell Lucene index search to stop when it takes too long [ In reply to ]
Hi,-

Sometimes the search takes too long even with PhraseWildcardQuery, so i
would like to limit the search time via TimeLimitingCollector API.

Thanks to Mikhail and this Forum to inform me about this API.

i checked this IndexSearcher API with Collector parameter but that API
does not have top n results as parameter:

https://lucene.apache.org/core/8_4_1/core/org/apache/lucene/search/IndexSearcher.html

and the TimeLimitingCollector API:

https://lucene.apache.org/core/8_4_1/core/org/apache/lucene/search/TimeLimitingCollector.html

Is there a simple example where both IndexSearcher and
TimeLimitingCollector APIs are combined?

I found this snippet and i would like to add the missing pieces here:

Counter clock = ...;
long baseline = clock.get();
// ... prepare search -> i think this means create the query here
TimeLimitingCollector collector = new TimeLimitingCollector(c, clock,
numTicks);
collector.setBaseline(baseline);
indexSearcher.search(query, collector);

// But i also would like to do the following: and how do i get results
from TimeLimitingCollector in that so much allowed time?

int totalHits = collector.totalHits;

TopDocs topdocs = collector.topdocs(); // But i cant specify Top n docs
here, right?

The collector is defined here

https://lucene.apache.org/core/8_4_1/core/org/apache/lucene/search/Collector.html

https://lucene.apache.org/core/8_4_1/core/org/apache/lucene/search/TopDocsCollector.html

Best regards

Re: How to tell Lucene index search to stop when it takes too long [ In reply to ]
Pass TopDocsCollector as the first arg into TimeLimitingCollector.

Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Re: How to tell Lucene index search to stop when it takes too long [ In reply to ]
Thanks Mikhail. I missed that cosntructor's first parameter.

Best regards

Re: How to tell Lucene index search to stop when it takes too long [ In reply to ]
I have one more question on this, should i use Thread to use this class?

The snippet did not have that.

Best regards