Mailing List Archive

Can Lucene be used as Rules Engine?
Gentlemen:

I am using Lucene as search engine for the below requirement:

Millions of documents (text files) are there.

Each text file has thousands of words (plain Strings with space separated).

Example content of a text file 1 (just showing few words): 0001AAA 0001AAB
0001AAC 0061000 PSBP06 MFBP05 ...

Example content of a text file 2 (just showing few words): 0001AAX 0001AAB
0001AAN 0061002 PSBP07 MFBP06 ...

Then there are millions of rules captured in the database. For easy
understanding, I specify couple of rules below:

Rule 1:

CONDITION 1: WITH: 0001AAA OR 0001AAC

CONDITION 2: WITH: PSBP06 OR PSBP07

CONDITION 3: WITH: MFBP05

Rule 2:

CONDITION 1: WITH: 0001AAN OR 0001AAC

CONDITION 2: WITH: PSBP06

CONDITION 3: WITH: PSBP08

CONDITION 4: NOT WITH: MFBP05

Requirement is, for a given rule, find the text files matching at least one
word in each condition of the rule

I indexed the contents of each text file as a Lucene document with a Field
"FileContents" and another field to just store the file name

So, for the Rule 1, I constructed query as (0001AAA OR 0001AAC) AND (PSBP06
OR PSBP07) AND (MFBP05)

And for Rule 2, the query is (0001AAN OR 0001AAC) AND (PSBP06) AND (PSBP08)
AND NOT (MFBP05).

Queries are working and able to find the appropriate text files.

Now, I have another requirement which is reverse of above requirement.

i.e., For the given text file, I need to find the list of Rules that can
match.

Example: For the text file 1, the "Rule 1" should match, because the text
file 1 has 0001AAA which satisfies condition 1, PSBP06 will satisfies
condition 2, MFBP05 will satisfy condition 3.

Rule 1 has 3 conditions and at least one word in each condition matches for
text file 1. So Rule 1 is good for text file 1.

Rule 2 should not match for text file 1 because PSBP08 is not there in it.

I don't know whether i can index the "Rule" information in Lucene. A rule
can have 1 or more conditions, so I can't use fixed number of Fields to
query on. Even if there are fixed number of fields, the query has to check
for each field to match at least one word.

Is it possible to handle this requirement using Lucene? or should I go for
other options?

I am new to Lucene, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kart
Re: Can Lucene be used as Rules Engine? [ In reply to ]
Hello, Kart.
I still don't fully get the problem. But usually implementing Rule Engine
requires to use
https://lucene.apache.org/core/7_3_1/sandbox/org/apache/lucene/search/CoveringQuery.html
which
check number of rule clauses in a dedicated field.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Re: Can Lucene be used as Rules Engine? [ In reply to ]
> Now, I have another requirement which is reverse of above requirement.

I might be wrong but that smells like luwac (available in 8.2.0)

check out:

it should allow you to index the rules and then use the document as a query to retrieve the rules that match with your document.

If you want to match the document only if at least one condition is matched you can just encode the conditions of a rule in OR and it might work..

please note I'm not sure about this (I never used luwac :)) maybe somebody in the list can comment more :)

cheers
Diego

Sent from Bloomberg Professional for Android

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
RE: Can Lucene be used as Rules Engine? [ In reply to ]
Luwak (stored query engine, allowing users to efficiently match a stream of documents against a large set of queries) seems to be the right candidate for my requirement.

Thanks for pointing out this to me. I will dig more about this.

Thanks,
Kart

--
Sincerely yours