Mailing List Archive

Backwards compatibility issues
Greetings All.

We have long since had Lucene v4.10.4 embedded in our software. The
prospect of requiring our user to reindex their data has prevented us
from migrating to newer versions of Lucene (many of our users have huge
indexes, that will take a weeks to reindex).

We have internal test builds available with Lucene 5.5 and Lucene 8.2
that run superbly, but compatibility issues prevent us from moving
forward with any one of them. Recently, a requirement arose
necessitating an upgrade to Lucene 5.5 or higher. We thought to use
Lucene 5.5 since it is read backwards compatible with Lucene 4 indexes.
However, when we start out server up, the following message is outputted
in the search interface:

Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException:
java.lang.IllegalStateException: unexpected docvalues type NONE for
field 'sentdate' (expected=NUMERIC). Use UninvertingReader or index with
docvalues.
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
    at
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:772)

Question: Since our lucene 4 indexes do not have doc values, is there an
API configuration option to force Lucene 5.5 to use the old way of
sorting when using indexes created by Lucene 4? How does one resolve this?

Much appreciate

Jamie