Mailing List Archive

Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue
Hey all, just want to run an issue that I've recently identified while
looking at some performance issues we are having with our larger
indexes past you all.

Basically what we are seeing is that when there are a number of
concurrent searches being executed over a new IndexSearcher, the quite
expensive ScoreDocComparator generation that is done in the
FieldSortedHitQueue#getCachedComparator method ends up executing
multiple times rather the ideal case of once. This issue does not
effect the correctness of the searches only performance.

For my relatively weak understanding of the code the core of this
issue appears to lie with the FieldCacheImpl#getStringIndex method
which allows multiple concurrent requests to each generate their own
StringIndex rather than allowing the first request to do the
generation and then blocking subsequent requests until the first
request has finished.

Is this a know problem? Should I raise this as an issue or is this
"expected" behaviour. A solution would naturally require more
synchronization than is currently used but nothing particularly
complex.

Thanks,

Oliver

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
The nature of the field cache itself means that the first sort on a
particular field can take a long, long time. Synchronization won't
really help that much.

There are two ways around this...
1) incrementally generate the field cache (hard... not currently
supported by Lucene)
2) warm searchers in the background before exposing them to live
queries (the approach Solr takes).

-Yonik

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
On 09/08/2006, at 12:47 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> The nature of the field cache itself means that the first sort on a
> particular field can take a long, long time. Synchronization won't
> really help that much.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. If you have, say, 4 threads
concurrently starting a search on a cold index, they will _all_
effectively do a warm of the searcher, chewing up CPU and disk, which
may be better utilised by other threads. Wouldn't it be better for 1
thread to do the warming while the others block waiting?

The option to warm-up the index before making it available to
concurrent searches is effectively the same thing as this. I would
have thought it would be nicer to have it part of the search
mechanism rather than rely on coders to constantly build that warm-
ing thread into their application.

My 5 Australian cents (currently 3.75 US cents).

Paul Smith
RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
> The nature of the field cache itself means that the first
> sort on a particular field can take a long, long time.
> Synchronization won't really help that much.

I think you may be misunderstanding my description (probably because it was
not clear enough :). The issue is not that the first search is going to take
a while as this is clearly unavoidable. The issue I'm seeing is that when
there are a number of concurrent searches that start executing before the
cache has been populated they *all* end up doing the very expensive
ScoreDocComparator generation rather than just one of them doing the
generation and the rest simply blocking until that one is done. The more
concurrent searches and the longer the generation takes the worse the effect
becomes.

> There are two ways around this...
> 2) warm searchers in the background before exposing them to
> live queries (the approach Solr takes).

This is basically how we are working around this issue, we don't actually
pre-warm the search results as we don't have a window in which to do this
but we do synchronize the FieldSortedHitQueue cache generation so it can
never gets executed more than once per index reader:

private final Set<String> primedSortFields = new HashSet<String>();

protected void primeCache(Sort sort) throws IOException {
// This synchronized block allows us to be sure that a given sort
field is only primed once
// per searcher rather than the multiple times Lucene may prime the
field if left to its
// own devices (something we *really* want to avoid for big
synchronized (primedSortFields) {
SortField[] sortFields = sort.getSort();
for (int i = 0; i < sortFields.length; i++) {
SortField sortField = sortFields[i];
if (!primedSortFields.contains(sortField.getField())) {
primedSortFields.add(sortField.getField());
new FieldSortedHitQueue(getIndexReader(), new
SortField[] { sortField }, 0);
}
}
}
}

obviously this not ideal.

Thanks,

Oliver

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Hi Oliver,

I think Yonik simply misunderstood you in that earlier email.
Have you tried modifying that FieldSortedHitQueue class and making the appropriate method(s) synchronized?
It sounds like that would fix the issue. If it does, please let us know.

Otis

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Hi Otis,

I think that synchronizing the entire method would be an overkill - instead
it would be sufficient to synchronize on a "by field" object so that only
if two requests for the same "cold/missing" field are racing, one of them
would wait for the other to complete loading that field. I think there is
no need to that a lookup() for field2 would wait while a different field1
is being loaded. I am not sure if IO wise it makes sense to serialize the
are not in the readerCache), I would prefer not to.
One fast way to do this, for testing performance impact in Oliver's test
case, would be to sync on the interned field name. as follows:

public StringIndex getStringIndex (IndexReader reader, String field)
throws IOException {
field = field.intern();
synchronize(field) { // < ----------- line added
Object ret = lookup (reader, field, STRING_INDEX, null);
if (ret == null) {
final int[] retArray = new int[reader.maxDoc()];
... load field to cache ...
}

This way only requests for (loading) the same field would wait. But for the
working code, it wouls be better to maintain a by-field (and by-reader)
object to avoid messing up with a system wide string - who knows who else
is synchronizing on it...

Hope this makes sense,
Doron

RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Otis, Doron, thanks for the feedback.

First up I'd just like to say that I totally agree with Doron on this - any
attempt to fix this issue needs to be done using as fine grain
synchronization as is possible or you'd just be introducing a new bottle
neck.

It terms of the level of granularity, the work around I posted in my
previous email and the approach suggested by Doron are basically the same
(though Doron's code is certainly preferable) and I can certainly say that
synchronizing the object creation against the field name does solve the
problem.

However I have another solution that I'm working on that may be cleaner - by
encapsulate the caching logic that is currently spread across FieldCacheImpl
and FieldSortedHitQueue it becomes quite easy to implement a more complex
but certainly more fine grained level of synchronization and we don't have
to worry about synchronizing against an interned String or using some other
trick to synchronize on the field name.

I currently have:

public abstract class Cache {

private final Map readerCache = new WeakHashMap();

protected Cache() {
}

protected abstract Object createValue(IndexReader reader, Object
key)
throws IOException;

public Object get(IndexReader reader, Object key) throws IOException
{
Map innerCache;
Object value;
synchronized (readerCache) {
innerCache = (Map) readerCache.get(reader);
// no inner cache create it
if (innerCache == null) {
innerCache = new HashMap();
readerCache.put(reader, innerCache);
value = null;
} else {
value = innerCache.get(key);
}
if (value == null) {
value = new CreationPlaceholder();
readerCache.put(reader, value);
}
}
if (value instanceof CreationPlaceholder) {
// must be one of the first threads to request this
value,
// synchronize on the CreationPlaceholder so we
don't block
// any other calls for different values
CreationPlaceholder ph = (CreationPlaceholder)
value;
synchronized (ph) {
// if this thread is the very first one to
reach this point
// then this test will be true and we should
do the creation
if (ph.value == null) {
ph.value = createValue(reader, key);
synchronized (readerCache) {
innerCache.put(key,
ph.value);
}
}
return ph.value;
}
}
return value;
}

static final class CreationPlaceholder {
Object value;
}
}

class FieldCacheImpl implements FieldCache {

public String[] getStrings(IndexReader reader, String field)
throws IOException {
return (String[]) stringsCache.get(reader, field);
}

Cache stringsCache = new Cache() {

protected Object createValue(IndexReader reader, Object
fieldKey)
throws IOException {
String field = ((String) fieldKey).intern();

... create String[] ...

return retArray;
}
};

public StringIndex getStringIndex(IndexReader reader, String field)
throws IOException {
return (StringIndex) stringsIndexCache.get(reader, field);
}

Cache stringsIndexCache = new Cache() {

protected Object createValue(IndexReader reader, Object
fieldKey)
throws IOException {
String field = ((String) fieldKey).intern();

... create StringIndex ...

return value;
}
};

... etc

}

Is this an avenue worth pursuing further? Or are you guys happy to simply
synchronizing on the field?

Thanks again,

Oliver

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
On 8/8/06, Oliver Hutchison <ohutchison@aconex.com> wrote:
> > The nature of the field cache itself means that the first
> > sort on a particular field can take a long, long time.
> > Synchronization won't really help that much.
>
> I think you may be misunderstanding my description (probably because it was
> not clear enough :). The issue is not that the first search is going to take
> a while as this is clearly unavoidable.

Sorry, I understood your problem perfectly, I just wasn't clear on
what I was saying.

My point was that for many uses, even the first-sorted-search delay is
not acceptable (and fixing multiple threads trying to fill the same
cache entry wouldn't solve that). The warming-in-the-background that
Solr currenty uses solves both.

For those who can't warm in the background though, synchronizing
per-fieldcache entry would probably be a good idea.

-Yonik

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Doron Cohen <DORONC@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> public StringIndex getStringIndex (IndexReader reader, String field)
> throws IOException {
> field = field.intern();
> synchronize(field) { // < ----------- line added
> Object ret = lookup (reader, field, STRING_INDEX, null);
> if (ret == null) {
> final int[] retArray = new int[reader.maxDoc()];
> ... load field to cache ...
> }

Assuming "field" wasn't being used to synchronize on something else,
this would still block *all* IndexReaders/Searchers trying to sort on
that field.

In Solr, it would make the situation worse. If I had my warmed-up
IndexSearcher serving live requests, and a new Searcher is opened in
the background to be warmed, a getStringIndex(warming,"foo") would
also block all getStringIndex(live,"foo").

-Yonik

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Definitely the right track Oliver... it's called a blocking map (most
easily implemented in Java5 via Future). I don't think you need two
maps though, right? just stick a placeholder in the outer map.

-Yonik

RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Yonik,

> most easily implemented in Java5 via Future.

I didn't use Java5 as I had a feeling that code is Lucene needs to compile
on Java1.3 right?

> I don't think you need two maps though, right? just stick a
> placeholder in the outer map.

I'm using 2 maps mainly because it simplifies the implementation.
Technically all that is needed is a singe map with a key that is a composite
of index reader and field name however, given that there is also the
requirement that we only maintain a weak reference to the index reader and
the associated need to clean up the cache if the reader gets gc'd, it was
simpler for me to simulate the composite key using the 2 maps.

On a related note it would be great if there was a way to plug a custom
FieldCache implementation into Lucene, given there is a FieldCache interface
it's a shame there's no way to actually provide an alternative
implementation.

Since there seems to be a decent level of interest in this I'll try to put
together a patch and raise an issue over the next few days.

Cheers,

Oliver

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Oliver Hutchison <ohutchison@aconex.com> wrote:
> Yonik,
>
> > most easily implemented in Java5 via Future.
>
> I didn't use Java5 as I had a feeling that code is Lucene needs to compile
> on Java1.3 right?

Lucene 2 currently requires Java 1.4

It was really just a side comment - people have implemented these
blocking maps before, and I've seen it done with Java5 concurrency
things like Future - a natural fit. The way you were going about it
is perfectly fine though.

> > I don't think you need two maps though, right? just stick a
> > placeholder in the outer map.
>
> I'm using 2 maps mainly because it simplifies the implementation.
> Technically all that is needed is a singe map with a key that is a composite
> of index reader and field name however, given that there is also the
> requirement that we only maintain a weak reference to the index reader and
> the associated need to clean up the cache if the reader gets gc'd, it was
> simpler for me to simulate the composite key using the 2 maps.

Ah, right... I browsed your code a bit too fast. It looks fine.

> On a related note it would be great if there was a way to plug a custom
> FieldCache implementation into Lucene, given there is a FieldCache interface
> it's a shame there's no way to actually provide an alternative
> implementation.

Well, there's FieldCache.DEFAULT

/** Expert: The cache used internally by sorting and range query classes. */
public static FieldCache DEFAULT = new FieldCacheImpl();

-Yonik

RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
> Ah, right... I browsed your code a bit too fast. It looks fine.

Great.

> > On a related note it would be great if there was a way to plug a
> > custom FieldCache implementation into Lucene, given there is a
> > FieldCache interface it's a shame there's no way to
> actually provide
> > an alternative implementation.
>
> Well, there's FieldCache.DEFAULT

I thought the exact same thing but what I'd forgotten was that all fields on
an interface are implicitly final.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/interfaces.html#9.3

Anyway, thanks for the feedback I'll raise a couple of issues shortly.

Cheers,

Oliver

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
On 8/9/06, Oliver Hutchison <ohutchison@aconex.com> wrote:
> > Well, there's FieldCache.DEFAULT
>
> I thought the exact same thing but what I'd forgotten was that all fields on
> an interface are implicitly final.

Heh... interfaces strike again.

Well then since we *know* that no one has their own implementation
(because they would not have been able to register it), we should be
able to safely upgrade the interface to a class (anyone want to supply
a patch?)

-Yonik

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
yseeley@gmail.com wrote on 09/08/2006 11:22:12:
> Assuming "field" wasn't being used to synchronize on something else,
> this would still block *all* IndexReaders/Searchers trying to sort on
> that field.
>
> In Solr, it would make the situation worse. If I had my warmed-up
> IndexSearcher serving live requests, and a new Searcher is opened in
> the background to be warmed, a getStringIndex(warming,"foo") would
> also block all getStringIndex(live,"foo").

Right, this is what I had in mind with "by-field (and by-reader)" (a few
lines further).

- Doron

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
yseeley@gmail.com wrote on 09/08/2006 20:32:20:
> Heh... interfaces strike again.
>
> Well then since we *know* that no one has their own implementation
> (because they would not have been able to register it), we should be
> able to safely upgrade the interface to a class (anyone want to supply
> a patch?)
>
> -Yonik

I'd be happy to do supply this patch - unless someone already works on it
(Oliver?).

I have one more comment on the cache implementation. It feels to me
somewhat not right that a static system wide object (FieldCache.DEFAULT) is
managing the field caching for all the indexReaders in the JVM (possibly of
different indexes), when in fact there is no
dependency/relation/cooperation between the different indexReaders, cache
wise. It seems cleaner and simpler to have FieldCacheImpl take care of a
single IndexReader, and so have that cache "belong" to the indexReader.
This would make the cache implementation simpler. Synchronization would
only need to be on field values. This way we also get rid of the
WeakHashMap (which, btw, I never got to fully trust).

Regards,
Doron

RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
> yseeley@gmail.com wrote on 09/08/2006 20:32:20:
> > Heh... interfaces strike again.
> >
> > Well then since we *know* that no one has their own implementation
> > (because they would not have been able to register it), we
> should be
> > able to safely upgrade the interface to a class (anyone
> want to supply
> > a patch?)
> >
> > -Yonik
>
> I'd be happy to do supply this patch - unless someone already
> works on it (Oliver?).

I was intending to do this but perhaps this is not needed given your
following comments.

> I have one more comment on the cache implementation. It feels
> to me somewhat not right that a static system wide object
> (FieldCache.DEFAULT) is managing the field caching for all
> the indexReaders in the JVM (possibly of different indexes),
> when in fact there is no dependency/relation/cooperation
> between the different indexReaders, cache wise. It seems
> cleaner and simpler to have FieldCacheImpl take care of a
> single IndexReader, and so have that cache "belong" to the
> indexReader.
> This would make the cache implementation simpler.
> Synchronization would only need to be on field values. This
> way we also get rid of the WeakHashMap (which, btw, I never
> got to fully trust).

This sounds like a much nicer solution than what I was proposing. I'm still
happy to produce a patch if that would be helpful?

Cheers,

Oliver

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
On 8/10/06, Doron Cohen <DORONC@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> I have one more comment on the cache implementation. It feels to me
> somewhat not right that a static system wide object (FieldCache.DEFAULT) is
> managing the field caching for all the indexReaders in the JVM (possibly of
> different indexes), when in fact there is no
> dependency/relation/cooperation between the different indexReaders, cache
> wise. It seems cleaner and simpler to have FieldCacheImpl take care of a
> single IndexReader, and so have that cache "belong" to the indexReader.
> This would make the cache implementation simpler. Synchronization would
> only need to be on field values. This way we also get rid of the
> WeakHashMap (which, btw, I never got to fully trust).

Sorting was introduced to Lucene before my time, so I don't know the
reasons behind it. Maybe it was seen as non-optimial or non-core and
so was kept out of the IndexReader.

I admit, it does feel like the level of abstraction that FieldCache is
at is higher than that of the IndexReader (the lowest level).

-Yonik

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
> On 8/10/06, Doron Cohen <DORONC@il.ibm.com> wrote:
> Sorting was introduced to Lucene before my time, so I don't know the
> reasons behind it. Maybe it was seen as non-optimial or non-core and
> so was kept out of the IndexReader.
>
> I admit, it does feel like the level of abstraction that FieldCache is
> at is higher than that of the IndexReader (the lowest level).

... right, thanks, now I see what you mean. In other words, IndexReader
provides the ability to read/iterate terms and docs, but caching the term
values per doc is for a higher layer - this way keeping IndexReader simpler
and maintainable. So I guess Oliver can continue with the change as he
proposed it.

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
: ... right, thanks, now I see what you mean. In other words, IndexReader
: provides the ability to read/iterate terms and docs, but caching the term
: values per doc is for a higher layer - this way keeping IndexReader simpler
: and maintainable. So I guess Oliver can continue with the change as he
: proposed it.

if any "heavy" changes were to be made to the way FieldCaches refrences
are handled (ie; being able to specify which FieldCacheImpl you want to
use) it would make more sense to put that in the Searcher API ... but even
then it might make sense to use a WeakHashRef on the IndexReader since
multiple IndexSearchers can refrence the same IndexReader.

-Hoss

RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
I've created an issue (LUCENE-651) and attached a patch. Hopefully this will
help you guys with whatever approach you end up using to solve this.

Thanks,

Oliver

Re: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Sometimes when the user does a search on the same term at the same time, there is a delay in the search and the memory used considerably goes high. I was going through the lucene user list and saw this discussion about race condition.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/java-user/38753?search_string=race%20condition

What is the correct approach? Has it been fixed in the nightly builds and if yes, can anyone please point me as to which classes should I update to fix it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Kalpesh

---------------------------------
RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Kalpesh,

Are you using sorting? If you are, then the patch attached to LUCENE-651 may
help. It fixes a race condition that exists in the initialization of the
FieldCache (which is used to accelerate sorting).

Cheers,

Ollie

RE: Poor performance "race condition" in FieldSortedHitQueue [ In reply to ]
Thanks Oliver. It works.

Thanks,
-Kalpesh