Mailing List Archive

Alert function
I'm thinking of producing some neat new services built upon Lucene.

One thing I need is an alert function, that is, instead of searching
with a query on a lot of documents, I want all incoming documents to be
searched against a bunch of stored search queries (called "agents").

The simple solution is to index the document and then iterate through
all agents, but that isn't very scalable (say there are 10 new documents
a minute, and 10000 stored agents...).

The way commercial products like Verity and Autonomy handles this is to
store the search queries (the agents) instead, and then use the incoming
document as a search query against the stored agents. This way it
becomes extremely scalable.

Could this be a solution with Lucene too, and how would that look like?

Christian

--
http://octacom.net/