RAMDirectory to store the index. I am new to Lucene and have a question
regarding the use of RAMDirectory. Is it possible to load the RAMDirectory
index from a file or another source so as to keep from having to build the
index from scratch every time the application starts? I like having the
index in memory, but I don't like having to rebuild the index every time I
restart the server.

Thanks,
Chris Bojrab
AW: RAMDirectory question [ In reply to ]
>Is it possible to load the RAMDirectory index from a file
>or another source so as to keep from having to build the
>index from scratch every time the application starts?
>I like having the index in memory, but I don't like having
>to rebuild the index every time I restart the server.

I think this is not possible with the current Lucene implementation yet,
but I wrote a CachingDirectory implementation which is able to cache
Directories from any source Directory. Currently a RAMCachingDirectory
(caches in RAM) and a FSCachingDirectory (caches in local file system)
exist.

I still have to do some tests before I will post them on the developers'
list, though.

--
Maik Schreiber
IQ Computing - http://www.iq-computing.de