https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aclosed) I can see
some are tagged with a Milestone, but most are not.

I am furthest from a GitHub expert! So maybe I'm just missing something
obvious? E.g. is it possible via a commit message to "Closes #XXX in
Milestone YYY"? Do we just have to rely on "best effort" to remember to
set a Milestone on an issue when we close it?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com
Re: Fix version / milestones [ In reply to ]
A naive solution to enforce Milestone for every pull request would be to
fail Github CI if no milestone is set for that.

----
on:
pull_request:
branches:
- main
types: [synchronize, opened, reopened, milestoned, demilestoned]

jobs:
check-milestone:
name: Check Milestone
runs-on: ubuntu-latest
steps:
- if: github.event.pull_request.milestone == null
run: exit 1
----

But adding this simple CI job to the central repo may introduce a large
amount of noise (it is not exactly a "CI").
A more sophisticated method could be to use Octokit Request Action to
gently remind maintainers to set a Milestone before closing the issue/pr,
though, I've never tried it.
https://github.com/MeilCli/actions/blob/master/.github/workflows/check-has-milestone.yml