Mailing List Archive

New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.6.0
NOTICE:

Branch branch_9_6 has been cut and versions updated to 9.7 on stable branch.

Please observe the normal rules:

* No new features may be committed to the branch.
* Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be
committed to the branch. However, you should submit all patches you
want to commit as pull requests first to give others the chance to review
and possibly vote against them. Keep in mind that it is our
main intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.
* All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed
to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into
the current release branch.
* Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual.
However, if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch
while the branch feature freeze is in effect, think twice: can't the
addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch
may become more difficult.
* Only Github issues with Milestone 9.6
and priority "Blocker" will delay a release candidate build.

I am struggling to find the lucene Jenkins jobs on the new apache build server at https://jenkins-ccos.apache.org/ - if anybody has any hints as to how to navigate the helpful new interface with a non-functional search box, I would be very grateful…

It’s a holiday weekend coming up in the UK, so my plan is to give Jenkins a few days to chew things over (once I actually get the jobs running) and then build a RC on Tuesday 2nd May.
Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.6.0 [ In reply to ]
I have successfully wrestled Jenkins into submission, and there are now 9.6 jobs for Artifacts, Check and NightlyTests.

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.6.0 [ In reply to ]
I have started a release note here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/Release+Notes+9.6

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.6.0 [ In reply to ]
I am fighting with gradle and GPG yet again… Gradle fails when trying to sign artefacts with the message "Cannot perform signing task ':lucene:distribution:signReleaseArchives' because it has no configured signatory”. I have GPG configured in ~/.gradle/gradle.properties as follows:

org.gradle.caching=true
signing.keyId=<my public key>
signing.secretKeyRingFile=/Users/romseygeek/.gnupg/secring.gpg
signing.gnupg.executable=gpg

This worked last time I did a release. Does anybody know if anything has changed in gradle that means I need to change the properties file, or have any other ideas?

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.6.0 [ In reply to ]
Don't remember the specifics, but I ran into GPG issues during Solr 9.1.0
release. The fix for me was https://github.com/apache/solr/pull/1125, but I
don't know if this is the same problem or if it is applicable in Lucene's
case.

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.6.0 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Ishan, turns out the error was between chair and keyboard - I’d told the wizard to use the gradle java plugin to sign things when I should have been using gpg.

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.6.0 [ In reply to ]