in the 9.5 milestone?

Cheers
Luca
Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1 to doing a 9.5 release, it's overdue

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1, thanks Luca!

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1
Thanks Luca!

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1 from me.

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1 to release, thank you for volunteering to be RM!

I went thru 9.5 section of CHANGES.txt and tagged all the GH issues in
there with milestone too, if they didn't already have it. It looks
even bigger now.

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Robert for the help with the github milestone.

I am planning on cutting the release branch on Monday if there are no
objections.

Cheers
Luca

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi,
this would be nice to have in 9.5 :
https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12099

It's a minor (adding getters to KnnQuery) but can be beneficial in Apache
Solr as soon as possible.
Planning to merge in a few hours if no objections.
--------------------------
*Alessandro Benedetti*
Director @ Sease Ltd.
*Apache Lucene/Solr Committer*
*Apache Solr PMC Member*

e-mail: a.benedetti@sease.io

*Sease* - Information Retrieval Applied
Consulting | Training | Open Source

Website: Sease.io <http://sease.io/>
LinkedIn <https://linkedin.com/company/sease-ltd> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/seaseltd> | Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDx86ZKLYNpI3gzMercM7BQ> | Github
<https://github.com/seaseltd>

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
I tried to understand the issue described on github, but unfortunately
do not really understand it.

Can you explain a little more?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi all,
I meant to start the release today and I see this PR is not merged yet:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12029 . Alessandro, do you still plan
on merging it shortly?

Thanks
Luca

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
We did a major cleanup to the vector API in 9.5 but there are a few things
that still annoy me a bit that are worth fixing in my opinion:
- VectorValues, the API for float vectors, still exposes a binaryValue()
API. We should remove it and only expose floats in the API?
- Byte vectors should be represented as byte[] instead of BytesRef in
ByteVectorValues, KnnByteVectorField and KnnByteVectorQuery.

If these two changes are low-hanging fruits, maybe we can fold them in
order to avoid pushing another breaking change to the API later on. I'll
give it a try later today if none beats me to it.

Adrien
Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Yes Luca, doing it right now!

For Michael, it's just few getters.

Cheers
--------------------------

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Done on main and cherry-picked on 9.x, thanks Luca for your patience!
--------------------------

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi Luca,
Thanks for volunteering.
Approximately, when do you plan to cut the release branch? If there's time,
can I include https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9302 for 9.5
still? It is not merged yet.
Thanks,
Ishan

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi Ishan,
thanks for asking, I am currently working on moving the byte vectors API
away from BytesRef like Adrien suggested. I would aim for cutting the
branch tomorrow, would that work for you too?

Cheers
Luca

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
I think it would be too close, and the API would also change (so it is not
just a bugfix). I'll hold this off for the next release.
Thanks!

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
thanks :-)

Re: Lucene 9.5.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi all,
we made the changes that Adrien suggested above and addressed two recent
test failures around vector queries. We should be good to go, I am going to
start the release process now.