release.

--
Adrien
Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
Thank you! +1 :-)

Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
Can we please have a few days to improve the test situation? I think
we need to beef up checkindex to exercise seek() on the vectors, also
we need to look at static analysis to try to find other similar bugs.
This would help prevent "whack-a-mole" and improve correctness going forwards.

I want to help more but it's difficult timing-wise, lots of stuff
going on this week, and in my country friday is Veteran's Day holiday.

Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
Totally Robert, I was not trying to add any time pressure, next week is
totally fine. I mostly wanted to get the discussion started because folks
sometimes have one or two bug fixes they'd like to fold into a bugfix
release so I wanted to give them time to plan. Friday is also a
public holiday here, celebrating the end of World War 1. :)

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 4:41 PM Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we please have a few days to improve the test situation? I think
> we need to beef up checkindex to exercise seek() on the vectors, also
> we need to look at static analysis to try to find other similar bugs.
> This would help prevent "whack-a-mole" and improve correctness going
> forwards.
>
> I want to help more but it's difficult timing-wise, lots of stuff
> going on this week, and in my country friday is Veteran's Day holiday.
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 10:39 AM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > A bad integer overflow has been discovered in the KNN vectors format,
> which affects segments that have more than ~16M vectors. I'd like to do a
> bugfix release when the bug is fixed and we have a test for such large
> datasets of KNN vectors. I volunteer to be the RM for this release.
> >
> > --
> > Adrien

Adrien
Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
Thank you Adrien!

I created an issue for the static analysis piece, but I'm not
currently working on it yet. This could be a fun one, if anyone is
interested, to flush a bunch of these bugs out at once:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/11910

Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
+1 from me for a bugfix release once we've solidified testing. Thanks to
everyone working on improving tests and static analysis -- this now is our
second time encountering a bad arithmetic bug and it's important to get
ahead of these issues!

Julie

Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
+1 makes sense. I do think given this is the second similar-flavored
bug we've found that we should be thorough and try to get them all
rather than having a 9.4.3 ...

Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
These are the 9.4.2 completed issues:

https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/11905 <-- bug and associated monster test
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/11916 <-- checkindex improvement
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/11919 <-- checkindex improvement

These are the remaining issues:

https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/11918 <-- better error messages,
looks close to being merged
https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/11910 <-- static analysis:
after discussion on the issue, let's consider just doing a "one-time"
pass to look for more problems?

Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
It looks like we're good with the changes we wanted to get in for 9.4.2.

I plan on starting the release process tomorrow if there are no objections.

Adrien
Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
+1, thanks for the patience. I feel we at least made the effort to
root out any more of these and hopefully prevent a 9.4.3 with another
overflow bug.

Re: Release Lucene 9.4.2 [ In reply to ]
I have now started the release process and created a draft of release notes
at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/Release+Notes+9.4.2.
Feel free to edit directly if you have improvements in mind.