Mailing List Archive

IMPORTANT: Please update your gradle.properties file in your Lucene checkout!
Hey,

after merge of Java 19 support to main, 9.x and to-be-released 9.4,
there is a small change needed in your gradle.properties file. In
earlier version we disabled auto-provisioning of JDK releases for
compilation, but now it is required.

If your build hangs at :lucene:core:compileMain19Java saying that theres
no release of Java 19 available, please change your gradle.properties in
your home folder to enable this feature:

org.gradle.java.installations.auto-download=true

If you delete the file and let the build system regenerate it, all will
work out of box. So you have the choice: Delete the file to regenerate
defaults or modify above property!

Please also not that depending on your build system, the classes in
lucene/core/src/java19 may not compile (e.g. in Eclipse). I will work on
this in the following weeks. For now just ignore the compilation unit or
delete it from your IDE config. I may do something automatically using
our IDE autoconfiguration.

If you do not want Gradle to auto-provision the Java 19 for compilation
of those Preview classes, pass environment variable
JAVA19_HOME=/path/to/jdk19 to your build!

To actually test the new code: Build the Lucene JAR and run the test
suite with RUNTIME_JAVA_HOME=/path/to/jdk19; alternatively compile your
application and pass "--enable-preview" to the Java command line!

Thanks,

Uwe**

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
Re: IMPORTANT: Please update your gradle.properties file in your Lucene checkout! [ In reply to ]
Hi,

with deleting the file, I meant the "gradle.properties" in the lucene
checkout.

Uwe

Re: IMPORTANT: Please update your gradle.properties file in your Lucene checkout! [ In reply to ]
> If you do not want Gradle to auto-provision the Java 19 for compilation
of those Preview classes, pass environment variable
JAVA19_HOME=/path/to/jdk19 to your build!

That seems inverted; maybe I misunderstand? If say we're working locally
without Java 19 and don't want to bother it during dev, we should still
have an env variable pointing to it?

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley