Mailing List Archive

Can I integrate Apache Lucene with Dovecot POP3/IMAP incoming mail server to perform indexing and fast searching of email messages?
Subject: Can I integrate Apache Lucene with Dovecot POP3/IMAP incoming
mail server to perform indexing and fast searching of email messages?

Good day from Singapore,

I have a Virtual Private Server (VPS) in Germany running
Virtualmin/Webmin web hosting control panel. Virtualmin uses Dovecot
incoming mail server by default.

I used to have more than 200,000 email messages in my Inbox. At that
point in time, I cannot even search for any email message at all.
Dovecot will throw an error message. My workaround is to reduce the
number of email messages in my Inbox drastically by deleting USELESS
email messages.

But the number of email messages in my Inbox will continue to grow.
Can I integrate Apache Lucene with Dovecot to perform indexing and
fast searching of email messages? I have to cater for a time when my
Inbox will grow to millions of email messages.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
12 Aug 2022 Fri
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com

Re: Can I integrate Apache Lucene with Dovecot POP3/IMAP incoming mail server to perform indexing and fast searching of email messages? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

there are two possibilities to use Lucene with Dovecot:

* Use the (official) Dovecot-Solr plugin, which populates and queries
index managed by Solr (called "fts_solr"):
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/fts/solr/
* Use the alternative plugin "fts_elastic" (not shipped and officially
supported by Dovecot), which uses elasticsearch as backend:
https://github.com/filiphanes/fts-elastic

Both plugins work in combination with another very useful plugin: It
allows to extract the text from attachments using Apache Tika: "fts_tika".

Those type of queszions are better suited for the user@lucene.apache.org
mailing list. Of course you should primarily ask the Dovecot people for
help, the Lucene community has no relationship to Dovecot, the plugins
listed above are maintained not by us.

Uwe