Mailing List Archive

Make both Jira and GitHub issues/PRs read-only during issue migration
Hi everyone.
This is an announcement for a change in the coming migration for our issue
system.

I first thought we'd keep our issue system available during migration (and
made a plan not to introduce downtime).
However, there are a couple of suggestions and discussions in an issue
<https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive/issues/4> to completely
non-writable both Jira and GitHub until the migration is completed to avoid
any inconsistency or accidents; I generally agree with that for safety.

Allowing downtime, the migration will proceed as follows:

1. Make both Jira and GitHub read-only for everyone except for the
accounts that are used in the migration. We'd need to forbid PRs as well as
issues since pull requests are just special issues in GitHub.
2. Start migration. This would take ~72 hours.
3. Make GitHub issues and PRs writable once the migration is completed.
4. Make Jira writable (only for committers or me, if possible).
5. Add each Jira issue a comment saying "This was moved to GitHub [URL]".
6. Make Jira read-only.

The arrangements in detail will be determined with the infra team, but I
first wanted to share the change with devs.
The plan is not fixed yet, and there are still uncertainties in access
control to me. If you have objections or suggestions about the plan, please

Tomoko
Re: Make both Jira and GitHub issues/PRs read-only during issue migration [ In reply to ]
LGTM.

Re: Make both Jira and GitHub issues/PRs read-only during issue migration [ In reply to ]
+1, looks great.

Thank you Tomoko!!!!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com