Mailing List Archive

[HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues!
Hi Team,

Thanks to Tomoko's amazing hard work, we are close to done with the tooling
to migrate Jira issues to GitHub issues.

But we need your help!!

Please spot-check the trial migrated issues here:
https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test/issues

Ever Jira issue and its comments as of a couple days ago should be there.

Compare each GitHub issue to its corresponding Jira issue and if you see
something wrong, please reply on this thread, or open an issue here:
https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive

Tomoko plans around one week for this spot-checking, and then she will open
INFRA issues to do the actual migration and then switch Jira to read-only.

Thank you Tomoko!!! I have never seen such an unrelenting solo sprint for
so long and making such incredible progress on so many tricky problems.

Mike
--
Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com
Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
I did some spot-checking. ooh, it looks so nice!

I have one suggestion, totally optional/cosmetic, but I wonder if we
could make the original comment authors' names more prominent by
moving the [Legacy Jira: ${Name} (@${user}) on ${date}] to the top of
each comment rather than the bottom? That would make it a little less
jarring perhaps to see all (legacy) comments authored by mocobeta? If
it's too late for such tweaking, I completely understand - do with it
what you will.

Thank you Tomoko (and Mike) for all your hard work on this; I think
it's going to be a nice improvement.

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Oh, Tomoko already made this change, at Dawid's suggestion, but after she
had generated this test set of issues. Great minds think alike! (You and
Dawid).

I think she also fixed a few conversion bugs as well.

It takes at least ~24 hours to re-generate the full issues export so I
think she wasn't planning on doing it again with these last few fixes.

Thanks Mike.

Mike

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Oh I noticed one other thing. I was checking
https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test/issues/10005 which is
the copy of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10054, the
issue that has been receiving a lot of spam comments lately. Lo and
behold - the spam is gone! I am guessing it did not get transferred
because the spam comments are all locked so they are visible only to
logged-in JIRA users. It seems possible we might have other comments
like that which we *would* want to transfer? I'm not sure how to
search for something like that though. Personally, I don't know of any
issues like that (except this SPAM!), so I'd be happy if we don't
change anything here :)

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Oh that's a good point!

How about hidden (secure) issues? I assume they did not migrate as well?
Do GitHub issues offer such hidden/secure issues?

Mike

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 6:29 PM Michael McCandless <
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

How about hidden (secure) issues? I assume they did not migrate as well?
> Do GitHub issues offer such hidden/secure issues?

OK nevermind -- Tomoko already raised this question here on June 15 and the
conclusion was that Lucene never enabled such private issues (Solr did), so
there is nothing to do/see here!

Mike

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Is it intentional that we do not set Assignees on migration?

E.g. this issue (
https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test/issues/5916) is assigned
to Ryan in Jira, but has no Assignees in GitHub issue.

Mike

On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 6:40 PM Michael McCandless <

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
> Is it intentional that we do not set Assignees on migration?

You can assign a GitHub account only when it has push access to the
repository; it was infeasible to give push access to all committers to the
test repo (an invite/accept flow is needed for each committer).
Assignees will be set when the actual migration on apache/lucene repo -
every assignee in Jira should have push access to it.

Tomoko

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 8:47 PM Tomoko Uchida <tomoko.uchida.1111@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is it intentional that we do not set Assignees on migration?
>
> You can assign a GitHub account only when it has push access to the
> repository; it was infeasible to give push access to all committers to the
> test repo (an invite/accept flow is needed for each committer).
> Assignees will be set when the actual migration on apache/lucene repo -
> every assignee in Jira should have push access to it.

Woops OK thanks Tomoko! I think you explained this already at least two
times now, sorry ;)

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Hi,
this is the latest iteration of the migrations test.
https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test-2/issues

I fixed a few conversion errors I noticed on that, but there should remain
glitches that are relatively easy to fix I didn't notice.
Please pick one or two of your memorial issues and if they are correctly
converted into Markdown (i.e. can be used as references for future usage)
when you have some time.

We cannot iterate the time-consuming test forever. I plan to run the final
iteration this week.

Tomoko

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
I looked at a few issues and they look absolutely fabulous. What a great
achievement, Tomoko!

Dawid

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Hi Tomoko,

I had thought that we improved the "Legacy Jira: by..." wording, but I
still see e.g.:]

[Legacy Jira: by Steven Rowe (@sarowe) on Apr 26 2013]

Or did we make that improvement after you generated this latest version
maybe?

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
> Or did we make that improvement after you generated this latest version
maybe?

Yes. The latest walk-through test was done three days ago before this was
merged.
https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive/pull/128 (2 days ago)

Tomoko

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Hi Tomoko,

this looks all great! Go ahead and thanks for taking care. I will follow
the INFRA issue during my vacation.

Uwe

Am 08.08.2022 um 17:42 schrieb Tomoko Uchida:
> Hi,
> this is the latest iteration of the migrations test.
> https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test-2/issues
>
> I fixed a few conversion errors I noticed on that, but there should
> remain glitches that are relatively easy to fix I didn't notice.
> Please pick one or two of your memorial issues and if they are
> correctly converted into Markdown (i.e. can be used as references for
> future usage) when you have some time.
>
> We cannot iterate the time-consuming test forever. I plan to run the
> final iteration this week.
>
> Tomoko
>

> 2022?7?31?(?) 18:21 Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>:
>
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 8:47 PM Tomoko Uchida
> <tomoko.uchida.1111@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it intentional that we do not set Assignees on migration?
>
> You can assign a GitHub account only when it has push access
> to the repository; it was infeasible to give push access to
> all committers to the test repo (an invite/accept flow is
> needed for each committer).
> Assignees will be set when the actual migration on
> apache/lucene repo - every assignee in Jira should have push
> access to it.
>

> Woops OK thanks Tomoko!  I think you explained this already at
> least two times now, sorry ;)
>
> Mike McCandless
>
> http://blog.mikemccandless.com

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
Yes, looks amazing! All I could find was:

This one https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test-2/issues/8964
seems to be missing its attachment - not sure if this was expected
with this round? EG
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive/attachments/attachments/LUCENE-9004/hnsw_layered_graph.png
gives a 404. I know you were planning to use GH pages instead of that
raw content stuff, so I guess this should be resolved with another
round? Although I'm a bit surprised that the attachment would have
disappeared

Re: [HELP] Please spot-check the migrated Lucene GitHub issues! [ In reply to ]
> This one https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test-2/issues/8964
> seems to be missing its attachment - not sure if this was expected
> with this round? EG

Yes, I need to explain it.
Currently, all attachments are disappeared since I just moved all
attachments to another branch ("gh-pages") to use GitHub Pages for hosting
static contents (images, etc.)
https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive/pull/141

On the actual migration, all attachments should be correctly shown/ able to
be downloaded.
e.g.) https://github.com/mocobeta/forks-migration-test-2/issues/10628
(LUCENE-9004)

Tomoko