Mailing List Archive

New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0
NOTICE:

Branch branch_9_3 has been cut and versions updated to 9.4 on stable branch.

Please observe the normal rules:

* No new features may be committed to the branch.

* Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be

committed to the branch. However, you should submit all patches you

want to commit to Jira first to give others the chance to review

and possibly vote against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our

main intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.

* All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed

to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into

the current release branch.

* Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual.

However, if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch

while the branch feature freeze is in effect, think twice: can't the

addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch

may become more difficult.

* Only Jira issues with Fix version 9.3 and priority "Blocker" will delay

a release candidate build.

The only step missing is to add the Jenkins job on the release branch which
is something I don't really know how to do it, hopefully someone can help
here.

I am planning to build the first RC next Monday if there are no issues.
Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
Please find here the draft for the release highlights. I have probably
missed things that should be included so please feel free to add them.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/resumedraft.action?draftId=217391905

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Ignacio! I just created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10659 as a proposed
blocker for 9.3. It's a small bug fix for a unit test I recently
introduced on the 9x branch (one of the last things to get pulled into
the 9.3 candidate). I think we ought to fix this test before cutting a
9.3 release. There's a PR associated with the issue already (the
change is already patched into main/branch_9x).

Cheers,
-Greg

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi Greg,

Yes please fix the test in branch 9.3, I have approved the PR.

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
Ack, thanks Ignacio for the quick approval. Just merged the fix onto
the 9.3 branch.

Cheers,
-Greg

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
OK, as frustrating as this is, it looks like there was still another
bug in this same test uncovered last night. I have another PR open to
patch this into 9.3 here: https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/1044

I also reopened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10659 as
a proposed 9.3 block to pick up this fix. If the test remains
problematic after this patch, I'll just revert it out of 9.3 until it
proves more stable. Apologies.

Cheers,
-Greg

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
No worries Greg, I approved the change so feel free to push it whenever you
have time.

Cheers,

Ignacio

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
Ignacio Vera <iverase@gmail.com>
Jul 20, 2022, 1:41 PM (5 days ago)
to dev
Adrien told me that I sent the wrong link, I thought I could share the
draft before publishing.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/Release+Notes+9.3

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Ignacio! I tried to iterate on some release highlights to make them
sound more exciting.

Adrien
Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.3.0 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Adrien! It sounds much more exciting indeed.