Mailing List Archive

[DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration?
Hi Team,

Thanks to Tomoko's amazing hard work (
https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive), we are getting close to
having strong tooling and a solid plan to migrate all past Jira issues to
GItHub issues!

But one contentious point is whether to leave Jira read-only or read-write
after the migration. So let's DISCUSS and maybe VOTE to reach concensus?

My opinion: I think it'd be crazy to leave Jira read/write. We would
effectively have two issue trackers. New users who find Jira through
Google, or through links we have in old blog posts, etc., might
accidentally open new Jira issues or comment on old ones and we may not
even notice. I think that would harm our community.

I would prefer that we make a nearly atomic switch -- up until time X we
use Jira, then it goes read-only and at time X + t (t being how long the
migration takes, likely a day or two?), GitHub issues opens for business.
This way we clarly have only one issue tracker at (nearly) all times. This
would make a clean migration, and reduce risk of trapping users.

Other opinions?

Thanks,

Mike
--
Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com
Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
Thank you Mike for opening the discussion.

I don't really have a clear "opinion" on that, but I just wanted to try to
explain my perspective.

Today almost all development is already going on GitHub pull requests, then
it would be a natural direction for the majority of devs to move our
primary conversation platform to GitHub. I think we should try to optimize
our environment for majorities, although I know we will never be able to
reach a unanimous agreement.
Meanwhile, it was not my intention to completely discontinue the
contribution path via Jira. I rather optimistically thought we could leave
room for developers who don't use GitHub for any reason.

As for preventing someone from "accidentally" opening Jira issues, we could
show a text that says "Jira has been deprecated. Please open GitHub issue
unless you are not able to do so." when he/she is attempting to open Jira.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/configuring-contexts-and-default-values-for-the-description-field-1047552727.html

I agree that it'd be the cleanest way to make Jira read-only and I myself
am fine with the proposal - maybe I'm overthinking.

Tomoko

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
I think we'd still have the mailing lists open for discussion. So anyone
not willing or able to use GitHub would still be able to participate in a
meaningful way. Having two parallel bug trackers seems much less useful to
me. I'd rather have people emailing to a list that is active rather than
posting comments to a repository that we may very likely start to ignore.

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
I agree that "discussion" will be done on mailing lists (as always).
Properly speaking, stopping using Jira means "we don't accept patch style
contributions anymore".
GitHub doesn't allow ".patch" files as attachments; it'd be reasonable for
GitHub.
https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/writing-on-github/working-with-advanced-formatting/attaching-files

I'm not sure if it has a substantial effect and I myself am fine with that
- just wanted to clarify what we are going to discard.

Tomoko

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
Indeed, GitHub forbids you from attaching a file with extension .patch!
Sort of annoying :)

But then one workaround is to rename it to XXXX-patch.txt or so. Of
course, GitHub won't do pretty rendering of the .patch syntax, but then I
don't think Jira does either? It's just an attachment that you must
download and apply to your local git clone.

GitHub does support mapping a PR to a patch or diff file -- you just
download the full path to the PR, but add .diff or .patch extension. E.g.
https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive/pull/49.patch or
https://github.com/apache/lucene-jira-archive/pull/49.diff.

The .diff is a straight diff (like "git diff") of all the cumulative
changes/commits in the PR, while the .patch shows a concatenation of the
individual commits.

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
I see. If we forbid people from updating Jira, I hope we will keep dealing
with .patch files (maybe renamed to XXXX.patch.txt or XXXX-patch.txt) as
before.
I don't want to interfere with the development style of people who prefer
classical/standard patch files over pull requests.

Except for the treatment of .patch files, I don't see any essential
difference between Jira and GitHub issues so far.
For people who don't use GitHub not because of functionality but because of
their policy, I cannot much help. In that case, just blame me - it's a
project I started.

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
I suppose someone bent on not using GitHub could also email the patch to
the dev list, starting a thread around it.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
I am 100% for preventing creation of new issues in Jira, new issues should
only be created in one system at any one time. I feel that existing issues
should be completed in their original system for continuity, and
anticipate that in any case Jira will mean readable in perpetuity. The
copying of old issues to github as a convenience for users so they aren't
forced to look at 2 places also sounds good. Raising the standard for what
we consider a stale issue and closing out things in Jira faster to get to a
one system situation sooner also seems good.

Things I think we should strive to avoid:
1) An issue in Jira that is unresolved and duplicated (possibly resolved)
in github... possibly leading to someone wasting time repeating a solution
or giving up thinking there isn't a solution etc.
2) Any issues for which the discussion is split across systems and thus it
would be easy to miss part of the discussion and/or not have the issue come
up in searches that are relevant to that issue.

Also, a common pattern for me is to throw an issue ticket number that I
have noted somewhere (i.e LUCENE-12345) into google and browse to the
ticket if it comes up directly or to a mail archive result which has a link
to the Jira. This is faster than searching in jira itself because I can
always get to google in a single keystroke (new tab). Sadly this is
unlikely to work with github which does not put a project moniker on the
issue id. Not sure how many others do this but if it's common I wonder if
we can auto-insert something of the sort into github tickets so that mail
archives from the tickets are similarly searchable? Like LUCENE-G12345 for
github ticket #12345? The two key things that make this useful are the
searchability of the ID in google and the fact that ticket mails often have
a link to the ticket which the archive sites will render as a hyperlink.

-Gus

http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)
Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
OK, thank you everyone for your comments/suggestions.
I will ask infra to make Lucene Jira read-only after the migration is
completed (if there are no explicit objections). For people who are
critically affected by this change, please let me know about your
inconvenience. I'll try to find acceptable solutions.

> I would prefer that we make a nearly atomic switch -- up until time X we
use Jira, then it goes read-only and at time X + t (t being how long the
migration takes, likely a day or two?), GitHub issues opens for business.

Yes, it won't be a really atomic switch - there will be a moratorium in our
issue system (where GitHub issue is not lifted yet, but a Jira snapshot is
already taken). I estimate the whole migration process will take at least
three days; will make a mail thread about the detailed schedule.

Tomoko

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
> Yes, it won't be a really atomic switch

While it may not be completely atomic, could it be closer? GitHub already
supports new issues, developers are just advised against opening there.
Could the order of events be:

1. Make Jira read only
2. Send a message to dev@ stating new issues should now be opened in github
3. Start the migration
4. When the migration is complete, send another message notifying devs that
pre-existing Jiras are now in GitHub,so they can then be commented on and
edited there.

I think the difference with this and what was previously described on this
thread is there would be no downtime for new issues.

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
> 1. Make Jira read only

At the very last step, we'll add comments saying "This was moved GitHub
<URL>" to each Jira issue. It has to be done after the migration was
completed.

> 2. Send a message to dev@ stating new issues should now be opened in
github
> 3. Start the migration

In theory, it would be okay to me. I just wanted to avoid any risks during
migration. Let me give time to consider/check if the migration can be
safely done while new issues are created (by humans).

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 8:48 AM Tomoko Uchida <tomoko.uchida.1111@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > 1. Make Jira read only
>
> At the very last step, we'll add comments saying "This was moved GitHub
> <URL>" to each Jira issue. It has to be done after the migration was
> completed.

Is this going to send 10k emails to the mailing list? I’ll need to update
my filters so that these skip my inbox in that case.

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
> 2. Send a message to dev@ stating new issues should now be opened in
github
> 3. Start the migration

Maybe we can do a simulation for this.
I plan a rehearsal that migrates whole existing issues into a test repo
next week. Could some people help/test it (randomly open/close issues, add
comments, etc. while the migration script is running)?

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]

> > 1. Make Jira read only
>
> At the very last step, we'll add comments saying "This was moved GitHub
> <URL>" to each Jira issue. It has to be done after the migration was
> completed.
>

> Is this going to send 10k emails to the mailing list? I’ll need to update
my filters so that these skip my inbox in that case.

Yes, I will let you all know the mail template before starting the
migration.
Or, a Jira project admin could completely disable notifications from Jira -
but this could bury real notifications (issues/comments by humans who don't
recognize the migration).

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
I think missing a few updates would be preferable to having 10k messages.
Just my opinion though.

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]

I plan a rehearsal that migrates whole existing issues into a test repo
next week. Could some people help/test it (randomly open/close issues, add
comments, etc. while the migration script is running)?

It'd be done by an agent program - I'll draft it.

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
> I think missing a few updates would be preferable to having 10k messages.
Just my opinion though.
I don't have objections. Then let's disable Jira notification on issues@
before the script is started - maybe, issue watchers will notice that if
there are comments from someone.
Other opinions?

Re: [DISCUSS] Read-only Jira after the GitHub issues migration? [ In reply to ]
Just an update on the migration procedure.

> 2. Send a message to dev@ stating new issues should now be opened in
github
> 3. Start the migration
> I think the difference with this and what was previously described on
this thread is there would be no downtime for new issues.
I confirmed it's safe to create new issues while the migration is in
progress, so there will be no downtime for new issues.

For existing issues, I don't think it'd be practical to suspend our issue
system for two or three days, I would migrate comments on existing issues
created during migration in Jira by my GitHub account. A bit awkward, but
it'd be an acceptable workaround I think.

Tomoko