"blocker", but please let me know if there are any.

Thanks,

Ignacio
Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
+1, thanks Ignacio

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
I would like to see if we can get
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10577 in. It is working
and gives nice gains, but there is some controversy about the API. If
we can't get it sorted out this week(?) it can certainly slip to the
next revision. I know that
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10592 is also baking and
has a PR that seems to be progressing rapidly.

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the heads up, I am planning to cut the brunch middle next week,
Wednesday July 20th.
Let me know at the beginning of next week if there is any issue from your
side.

cheers,

Ignacio

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
I'd like to get ShapeDocValuesField in for the 9.3 release (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10654). It's a nice feature
for enabling facets and aggregations over XYShape and LatLonShape field
types and could make for a good 9.3 geo highlight.

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Principal Engineer - Search | Amazon
Apache Lucene PMC Member and Committer
nknize@apache.org

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Just a quick reminder I plan to cut the 9.3 branch this Wednesday at 9:00
CEST. Let me know if there is any issue.

@Mike: I see that LUCENE-10577
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10577> is still under API
discussions, Do you think it will make it to the release? LUCENE-10592
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10592> seems to have made
good progress, would you think it will be ready?
@Nick: I gave you feedback on the PR. I think it is way too risky to add an
encoding in a rush. I recommend adding the change in the sandbox if you
want to iterate in there or wait for another release where there is more
time to think through the encoding.

Cheers,

Ignacio

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thanks for checking, but please don't wait for LUCENE-10577. It's not clear
when that might get resolved

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reminder about the release, Ignacio!
About LUCENE-10592 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10592> I
will see what progress we can make today, and will let you know before
Wednesday at 9:00 CEST.

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
While I can understand the excitement about LUCENE-10592, it's also a big
change, maybe we should not even try to get it in before cutting the branch?

Adrien
Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Adrien, it is indeed a big change, also would be nice to see
benchmarks after it is merged.

So, Ignacio, please don't wait for LUCENE-10592, we will not be able to
make it for tomorrow.

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hello everyone,

We had preemptively created a Lucene93Codec to support the vector search
changes (Mike's work in LUCENE-10577, Mayya's work in LUCENE-10592).
However neither of these changes made it for 9.3, so there have not been
any real format changes-- Lucene93Codec is the same as Lucene92Codec.
Should we remove Lucene93Codec on branch_9_3 (effectively reverting
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/924) ?

Julie

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:02 AM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hi Julie,
thanks for raising this point, I was also thinking about it.
I think it would be valuable to clarify what constitutes the format
changes. Is on disk changes a necessary requirement for it? Or is it enough
that codec readers and writers change their behaviour?

For example, for LUCENE-10592, there are extensive changes about how codec
readers and writers behave, while the format on disk stays the same.
Specifically for the release 9.3, Alessandro also introduced some changes
<https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/926>to codec readers while the
format on disk stayed the same.

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Hello Mayya, I can share my view. Strictly speaking, we only need a new
codec version if the on-disk format changes for some type (like kNN vectors
in this case). Otherwise we can just evolve the logic in the same way we do
with other code, making the improvements in-place. Alessandro's PR is a
good example of this -- it's a refactor that happens to touch the
vectors reader code. It doesn't require a totally new codec version.

With your PR for LUCENE-10592, I don't think we technically need a new
codec for it, because the on-disk format remains the same. But since it's
such a big change that deeply affects the vectors writing logic, it feels
convenient that we're making it in a new format (maybe feels a bit clearer/
safer).

Julie

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 4:21 PM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Greg fixed a test failure that impacts 9.3, and opened a PR and blocker
issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10659

I think we should merge it for 9.3.0?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
indeed, just waiting for him to do the honours and push the PR.

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Super, thanks Ignacio. And thanks for volunteering as RM!

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
I'm sorry about this no op change that is so intrusive. Indeed it would be
better to roll it back, and I hope in the future we can find a better way
to evolve these codecs.

I would ideally handle this since I added in the first place.
Unfortunately I'm traveling until mid week next week and won't be able to
do it until then. Hopefully it is only referring a single commit?

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022, 7:21 PM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
OK I have an hour or so before vacation fun begins in earnest - let me
see if this is as easy as I claimed ...

On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 7:21 PM Mayya Sharipova

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
OK, I reverted the commit that introduced 93 codec on branch_9x and
branch_9_3. I guess it should probably get reverted on main too, but
since we have PRs that depend on it I wasn't sure if maybe we'd want
to rename to 94 instead of reverting? Anyway either way is fine by me.

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Michael for reverting the changes.
I think we should do the reversion also on the main branch, and later
introduce Lucene94 Codecs; otherwise I think it would be more difficult for
us to apply changes from main to branch_9x if they diverge so much.

Re: Lucene 9.3.0 release [ In reply to ]
Just for the update, Michael, I went ahead and applied your reverted
changes to the `main` branch as well. I will introduce the new Lucene 94
codec.