Mailing List Archive

Plan for GitHub issue metadata management
Hello all.

Besides whether the migration of existing issues should be done or not
(we still do not reach an agreement on it), I started to play around
with GitHub issue metadata with a test repository.

The current migration plan in my mind:

* Issue Type -> Supported with labels (e.g. "type:bug"); it also can
be attached when opening issues with issue templates.
* Issue Priority -> Not supported.
* Affects Versions -> Not supported.
* Components -> Supported with labels (e.g.: "module:core").
* Resolution -> Not supported.
* Fix Version(s) -> Partially supported with Milestone; an issue can
have only one milestone - I'm fine with it.

As you may see I'm going to drop the most of metadata that is
supported in Jira for the sake of brevity. If you have objections or
other perspectives, could you please speak up.

Tomoko

Re: Plan for GitHub issue metadata management [ In reply to ]
Can we support "Affects Versions" with a label too? "affectsVersion: 8.x"?

Regarding Fix Versions, don't we have multiple of these sometimes? E.g. a
bug fix may go into "8.1", "9.x" and "main"? Is it OK if we just drop
support for this?

Re: Plan for GitHub issue metadata management [ In reply to ]
Indeed versions are the most important metadata; I'd like to hear the
thoughts of others.

1. Fix Version(s)

We have only two options: Milestone or Label. One important difference
between them is that an issue can have only one milestone but multiple
labels. The other difference would be that while Milestone is special
metadata, labels are just flexible text tags for searching. I'm
personally fine with Milestone and my reasoning is that - we don't
release a bug fix or improvement in multiple versions anyway. We don't
have two CHANGES entries for one issue; if we resolve an issue in
"10.0.0" and "9.3.0" the CHANGES entry appears only in Lucene 9.3.0's
section.
However I don't have a strong opinion on it and go with others'
suggestions - should we continue to support multiple "fixed versions"
with labels (tags)?

2. Affects Version(s)

I have never used this metadata field but I'm perfectly fine with
supporting this with labels if we need it.

Tomoko

Re: Plan for GitHub issue metadata management [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'm just a bystander here. But are you aware that the new projects (beta)
includes support for custom fields?

<https://docs.github.com/en/issues/trying-out-the-new-projects-experience/creating-a-project#adding-custom-fields>

I haven't used them myself yet, but it seems that they might be a viable
alternative to modeling everything with labels (which is more of a crutch I
suppose).

Cheers,
Jens

Re: Plan for GitHub issue metadata management [ In reply to ]
I haven't used the "project" feature either - maybe it could be an
option but I can't have an opinion on it. Is there anyone who has
experience with it and wants to lead us to use it?

Tomoko

Re: Plan for GitHub issue metadata management [ In reply to ]
I've prepared issue labels in a test repository. (A test migration is
in progress and not yet completed.)
https://github.com/mocobeta/sandbox-lucene-10557/issues

Thre are four label families.

- type:abcd (Issue Type)
- fixVersion:x.x.x (Fix Versions) [1]
- affectsVersion:x.x.x (Affects Versions)
- component:module/yyyy (Components)

If you have any suggestions on label management, please feel free to
redesign it. I have no strong opinion on that and may not be able to
take the time to think deliberately about it.

[1] I first thought of using Milestone for versions, but there were a
few questions on it; then I'd keep the current operation: multiple fix
versions.