Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
I don't intend to neglect histories in Jira... it's an important,
valuable asset for all of us and possible contributors in the future.

It's important, *therefore*, I don't want to have the degraded copies
of them on GitHub.
We cannot preserve all of history - again, there should be tons of
unignorable information losses (timestamp, reporter, assignee,
markdown, metadata that cannot be ported to GitHub) if we attempt to
migrate the whole Jira history into Github. Rather than trying to have
such incomplete copies, I would preserve Jira issues in the perfectly
archived status, then simply refer to them.

Tomoko

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
I feel like we should delay the decision on the mingration of existing
issues until we have a clear image of what can be done and what cannot
be done.

I'll write some migration script that preserves the issue history as
far as possible - then come back here with some experience.
Let's make a decision upon the concrete knowledge and information.

Tomoko

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
Does anyone have information on API access keys to Jira (preferably,
read-only and limited to Lucene project)?

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
Replying to myself - Jira issues can be read via REST API without any
access token and we can iterate all issues by issue number.
curl -s https://issues.apache.org/jira/rest/api/latest/issue/LUCENE-10557

Would you please hold the discussion for a while - it's a waste of our
time without a working prototype to me. I will be back here with a
sandbox github repo where part of existing jira issues are migrated
(with the best effort).
In the process, we could simultaneously figure out the way to operate
GitHub metadata (milestones/labels).

Tomoko

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
Hi Tomoko,

I've added a few bullet points that script could/should handle under
LUCENE-10557, hope you don't mind. If you place these script(s) in the open
then perhaps indeed we could try to collaborate and see what can be done.

Dawid

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
I'll give it a try though, I'm really skeptical that it can be done
with a satisfactory level of quality (we want to "preserve" issue
history, not just to have shallow/degraded copies, right?), and the
migration will be significantly delayed to figure out the way to
properly moving all issues to GitHub.
if there is another way to bypass this challenge - please let me know.

Tomoko

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
I honestly don't know what can be done and what has to be sacrificed. I'm
pretty sure it'll be more difficult than svn->git conversion because more
factors are involved. One tough thing to somehow preserve may be user names
(reporters, etc.). I'm not sure how other projects dealt with that.

Perhaps a way to do it incrementally would be to create a json/xml
(structured) dump of jira content and then write a converter into a similar
json/xml dump for importing into github. I remember it took many
iterations and trial and error for svn->git conversion to eventually reach
the final shape and it was simpler and faster to do it locally.

Dawid

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
I looked at some related projects on github:
https://github.com/Skraeda/jira-2-github
Does the barebones basics but helps you think of the inputs: "username
mapping", "release -> milestone mapping", etc. Of course for a
username mapping, maybe its best to just handle the top 99% or so and
let the long-tail just come across as "full name". I also find plenty
of projects that convert "special jira language" to markdown, e.g.
https://github.com/catcombo/jira2markdown
I'm not convinced conversion would be degraded, with a little bit of
thought into the conversion, I think it could actually be *better*.
github issues can do everything jira can, just without the fussy UI.
e.g. issues can have attachments (for all the patch files), and
attachment names can have duplicates. Issues can link to other issues,
commits, or PRs easily.

It just depends on how much we want to invest into it. If we want to
really go whole-hog, then when we do the initial JIRA->issue
conversion, we should *save that mapping* as a .CSV file or similar.
Because later we could then use it to find/replace URLs in
Changes.txt, source code, benchmark annotations, etc etc. Let's at
least leave the possibility open to do that work as followup.

I find the idea that we're stuck looking at JIRA forever ridiculous.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
User id mapping is an important consideration for me.

Can we find a mapping from Jira user id to GitHub account anywhere?
Don't we have to gain the consent of each individual to map both accounts?

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 18, 2022, 7:42 AM Tomoko Uchida <tomoko.uchida.1111@gmail.com>
wrote:

> User id mapping is an important consideration for me.
>
> Can we find a mapping from Jira user id to GitHub account anywhere?

I think we would have to create it. But my hope would be that maybe 50-100
names would cover large majority of issues.

No, we don't have to ask permission to mention someone with an @username

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
You'll not be able to create a GH issue with a script, on behalf of the original reporter.
Neither will you be able to add a GH issue comment impersonating the person who made the JIRA comment.
Rather, all issues and all comments would be made by the script/bot user, and you'd have to add in free-text information about reporter and commenter.
You may be able to assign an issue to the github-id of the original JIRA assignee though.

See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36540508/github-api-possible-to-set-reporter-of-issue-to-another-user-when-creating-issu <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36540508/github-api-possible-to-set-reporter-of-issue-to-another-user-when-creating-issu>

I'm still against duplicating jira history over to GitHub. I think it will be a confusing mess and not worth the effort. The history split can be mitigated by documentation, and perhaps a search engine :)

If, however, experiments show that a quality migration is possible, then can we please open a separate git repo only for the historic issues? It is easy to search across two repos in GitHub, e.g. https://github.com/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+repo%3Aapache%2Flucene+repo%3Aapache%2Flucene-solr+wizard+ <https://github.com/pulls?q=is:pr+is:closed+repo:apache/lucene+repo:apache/lucene-solr+wizard+>

Jan

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
Thanks Robert and Jan, for your information.

> I'm still against duplicating jira history over to GitHub. I think it will be a confusing mess and not worth the effort.

I am against it to have duplicated issue history in two issue systems
too. I think it's a kind of my duty to provide information on what
can/cannot be done on it not to be stuck on an argument without basis.

Will you all please hold the discussion on whether we "should" migrate
existing issues or not for a little while.
I'll try to give a working example - let's see how it looks, then make
the final decision.

Tomoko

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
> User id mapping is an important consideration for me.

Some mapping has to be present somewhere already. Even very old git commits
point at the right people. Perhaps it's based on e-mail addresses or
something?

https://github.com/apache/lucene/commit/5a2615650e104c0713407637d65ae0ce7c2b257a

When the user isn't available, github just shows the nick, without the link.

https://github.com/apache/lucene/commit/89a554ffab239c0118ccd454d76cdf714d793911

Maybe infra could help with how it's done already for git integration.

Dawid
Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
I think the user mapping must be inferred based on membership in the
Apache "organization" https://github.com/settings/organizations

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira [ In reply to ]
Thanks for your suggestions; actually ASF should have information on
the account mapping.
For now, I'll just prepare scripts to embed the mapped github accounts
next to the jira author/assignee name; we could ask infra or create
the mapping on our own by inference if we find it's worthwhile to have
it.

I think we can discuss "how" on the issue (LUCENE-10557) - I don't
think there are not so many people who are interested in the full
details of such matters, it's practically important though.