To see how it will work, please see the associated PR on it - this includes
a concrete example.

Please note that this does not replace Jira with Github (we still
absolutely need issues for discussion and migrating Jira issue to GitHub
issue is out of the scope here), but provides an option for developers who
already have working patches.

Thank you,
Tomoko
Re: Allow to directly link to GitHub PR from CHANGES? [ In reply to ]
The pull request receives one approval and a few comments. Feedback is
welcome, thank you.

There are no effects on the current contribution workflow though, this
could slightly change the forms of communication (some people will continue
to use both Jira and GitHub as before, some people might tend to use GitHub
only).

I am not familiar with how to proceed with such workflow changes; according
to the "lazy consensus" concept that is well described on this page, I plan
to merge it with an example CHANGES entry later next week if there are no
objections.
https://community.apache.org/committers/lazyConsensus.html

Tomoko

Re: Allow to directly link to GitHub PR from CHANGES? [ In reply to ]
Assuming there are no strong objections, I merged the PR. This is effective
from now on.
In brief, a CHANGES entry can refer Jira issues or GItHub pull requests. In
the latter case, Jira issue is not required or is optional (it's up to the
author).

Re: Allow to directly link to GitHub PR from CHANGES? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Tomoko!

I'm +1 on no longer requiring external contributors to create JIRA
issues, JIRA can be quite intimidating the first time you have to deal
with it with its complex UI, specific markup language, etc. This will
hopefully improve the experience of first-time contributors.

--
Adrien

Re: Allow to directly link to GitHub PR from CHANGES? [ In reply to ]
Thank you Adrien for confirming.

Just for a supplement, this is effective for all developers (committers,
long-term or first-time contributors) and all pull requests, without any
conditions.
Every developer can skip opening a JIRA when contributing if he/she feels
it's an unnecessary extra ceremony.

So - I hope this will also eases long-term committers' daily work.

Thanks,
Tomoko

Re: Allow to directly link to GitHub PR from CHANGES? [ In reply to ]
> Just for a supplement, this is effective for all developers (committers,
long-term or first-time contributors) and all pull requests, without any
conditions.

I'm sorry for being verbose for it again, but I'd like to emphasize this
point.
I mean, if we absolve only first-time contributors from the requirement for
JIRA issues, this can add unnecessary barriers between developers; this is
not my intention.
The contribution workflow should be the same for all developers.

If any administrative issues pop up by exempting JIRA issues for all pull
requests, I'll try to improve the workflow.

Tomoko