You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.1.0-RC2-rev-5b522487ba8e0f1002b50a136817ca037aec9686

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours i.e. until 2022-03-19 21:00 UTC.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1.

Julie
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
+1
SUCCESS! [1:42:08.893354]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
I've got java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space for the test below.
May be, not a big deal?

Reproduce with: gradlew :lucene:core:test --tests
"org.apache.lucene.index.TestIndexWriterMergePolicy.testStressUpdateSameDocumentWithMergeOnGetReader"
-Ptests.jvms=8 -Ptests.jvmargs=-XX:TieredStopAtLevel=1
-Ptests.seed=D6AA47F089920F8A -Ptests.nightly=true -Ptests.badapples=false
-Ptests.file.encoding=US-ASCII

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Mayya,

You can safely ignore that test failure. It's a known issue: LUCENE-10088
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10088>. This issue is
unlikely to happen outside our tests unless users set
IndexWriterConfig#maxBufferedDocs extremely low.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
+1 SUCCESS! [1:18:36.769572]

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 2:22 PM Nhat Nguyen

--
Adrien

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Julie,

I needed 3 attempts to make Smoke tester passing, but after 3rd one it worked:

SUCCESS! [2:16:31.174365]

https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Release-Tester/15/console

The first one passed all tests, but for some strange reason it failed with the following error:

https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Release-Tester/13/console

verify maven artifact sigs

command "gpg --homedir /home/jenkins/workspace/Lucene-Release-Tester/smoketmp/lucene.gpg --import /home/jenkins/workspace/Lucene-Release-Tester/smoketmp/KEYS" failed:

gpg: keybox '/home/jenkins/workspace/Lucene-Release-Tester/smoketmp/lucene.gpg/pubring.kbx' created

gpg: /home/jenkins/workspace/Lucene-Release-Tester/smoketmp/lucene.gpg/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created

gpg: key B83EA82A0AFCEE7C: public key "Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org>" imported

gpg: can't connect to the agent: IPC connect call failed

Not sure where this came from. Looks like a problem with this GPG agent that died for some reason..

The second try failed with the following TEST error (in the Java 11 run):

https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Release-Tester/14/console

org.apache.lucene.search.TestMatchAllDocsQuery > testEarlyTermination FAILED
java.lang.AssertionError: expected:<201> but was:<241>

If you don’t think the TestMatchAllDocsQuery#testEarlyTermination failing test is an issue, I would say:

+1 to release!

I did not check the artufacts manually (like starting Luke on Windows) because there were no changes since RC1.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 10:28 AM Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> The first one passed all tests, but for some strange reason it failed with the following error:
>
> gpg: can't connect to the agent: IPC connect call failed
>
> Not sure where this came from. Looks like a problem with this GPG agent that died for some reason..

Every time you run the smoketester, at least on linux, it leaks an
independent GPG agent for that tempdir, at least for me. I had to kill
off some stray ones the other day. It might be related to your issue.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Julie,

Thanks for volunteering as the RM.

After 4 attempts, I finally got the smoke-tester (jdk11) to pass on the 5th
attempt.

Tested out using some other basic indexing/search sample app code that I
was playing around with.

Here's my +1 to release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2.

SUCCESS! [1:05:31.299375]

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
I investigated the TestMatchAllDocsQuery failure and filed an issue here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10472. To me it doesn't seem
like a major problem and could potentially be a test issue. We also haven't
made changes to this early termination logic in 9.1 (to the best of my
knowledge), so it's unlikely to be a regression.

Julie

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Anshum,

Do you remember what the issues were on the first 4 attempts?

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
SUCCESS! [1:24:08.864267]

The smoke tester passed for me on the first try. I'm not sure what
takes so long there (nightly tests?)... It'd be nice to have
timestamps in smoke tester output so that we can determine which phase
takes so darn long. A full gradle check (without slow tests) is an
order of magnitude faster for me.

Anyway, +1.

Dawid

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 4:08 PM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> The smoke tester passed for me on the first try. I'm not sure what
> takes so long there (nightly tests?)... It'd be nice to have
> timestamps in smoke tester output so that we can determine which phase
> takes so darn long. A full gradle check (without slow tests) is an
> order of magnitude faster for me.

Yeah, Julie opened a JIRA issue already. Looks like if we fix 3 java
methods, we solve 80% of the problem?

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hey Adrien,

I was just speaking to Julie about it on Slack.

I don't have the failure from the first run, but the subsequent runs seem
to have just stalled. At some point the system went to sleep, and caused
random failures that were unrelated to the actual run.
I'll re-run the tests a few more times and report back if I can reproduce
the test failures from the first run.

-Anshum

--
Anshum Gupta
RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

the test also failed several times in usual Jenkins jobs (see builds@lao list). Looks like a problem with the test or some wrong assumption or some missing synchronized block (the Policeman Jenkins machine has many cores, so issues with not synchronized cache lines can happen easily).

Uwe

-----

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
+1

SUCCESS! [1:08:44.248804]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi
I tried to run the smoke test command on an EC2 instance, and I got several
failures like the one below:

Exception in thread "Attach Listener" Agent failed to start!

> [...]
> at
> org.apache.lucene.tests.util.TestRuleIgnoreAfterMaxFailures$1.evaluate(TestRuleIgnoreAfterMaxFailures.java:$
> 0)
> at
> org.apache.lucene.tests.util.TestRuleIgnoreTestSuites$1.evaluate(TestRuleIgnoreTestSuites.java:47)
> at org.junit.rules.RunRules.evaluate(RunRules.java:20)
> at
> com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.rules.StatementAdapter.evaluate(StatementAdapter.java:36)
> at
> com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.ThreadLeakControl$StatementRunner.run(ThreadLeakControl.java:370)
> at
> com.carrotsearch.randomizedtesting.ThreadLeakControl.lambda$forkTimeoutingTask$0(ThreadLeakControl.java:826$
> at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
>
> org.apache.lucene.index.Test2BPostings > test suite's output saved to
> /tmp/smoke_lucene_9.1.0_5b522487ba8e0f1002b50a13$
>
> 817ca037aec9686_2/unpack/lucene-9.1.0/lucene/core/build/test-results/test/outputs/OUTPUT-org.apache.lucene.index.Test2$
> Postings.txt, copied below:
> 2> java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
> 2> at
> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
> 2> at
> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
> 2> at
> java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
> 2> at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
> 2> at
> java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndStartAgent(InstrumentationImpl.java:513)
> 2> at
> java.instrument/sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallAgentmain(InstrumentationImpl.java:535)
> 2> Caused by: java.security.AccessControlException: access denied
> ("java.lang.RuntimePermission" "accessClassInPacka$
> e.jdk.internal.org.objectweb.asm")
> 2> at
> java.base/java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.java:472)
> 2> at
> java.base/java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:895)
> 2> at
> java.base/java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:322)
> 2> at
> java.base/java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPackageAccess(SecurityManager.java:1238)
> 2> at
> java.base/jdk.internal.loader.ClassLoaders$AppClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoaders.java:174)
> 2> at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
> 2> at Log4jHotPatch.asmVersion(Log4jHotPatch.java:71)
> 2> at Log4jHotPatch.agentmain(Log4jHotPatch.java:93)

Does anyone have an idea?

Patrick

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
>> 2> at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
>> 2> at Log4jHotPatch.asmVersion(Log4jHotPatch.java:71)
>> 2> at Log4jHotPatch.agentmain(Log4jHotPatch.java:93)
>> 2> ... 6 more
>

> Does anyone have an idea?

Your JVM is broken, look at this Log4jHotPatch stuff causing trouble.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
I think this is Amazon trying to cope with log4shell - they've added
external instrumentation.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Yeah this is endemic in our world now. I am having the same issue

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
We had to do a workaround in our internal test suites by setting a
system property to trick this thing into not running; Maybe we can
apply that also here...

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone, people have run into several test failures, here's a summary
to make it easier to follow:

1. Some tests can be very slow with certain random parameters, and this
can cause the smoke tester to take several hours -- this seems like a
test-only problem, and we're working to address it in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10473.
2. TestMatchAllDocsQuery#testEarlyTermination can fail with assertion --
this is a test-only issue, and has already been fixed in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10472.
3. TestIndexWriterMergePolicy#testStressUpdateSameDocumentWithMergeOnGetReader
can OOM -- this is a known issue and is not expected to occur outside of
tests (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10088)
4. *Security manager issues from Amazon's log4shell patch* -- not sure
this requires a change on our end? It sounds like Mike is investigating the
issues now (thanks!)
5. *Test suite may also stall on some machines? *-- Uwe mentioned "Looks
like a problem with the test or some wrong assumption or some missing
synchronized block (the Policeman Jenkins machine has many cores, so issues
with not synchronized cache lines can happen easily)." Is this a different
problem from #1 where we just have slow tests? I'm not sure if this is
something we want to investigate as part of the release or if we think it
can wait.

Thanks,
Julie

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Julie, thanks for summarizing the issues, for 4, as far as I understand,
there's nothing that needs to be changed on lucece's end. We're still
having trouble running the smoke test on Amazon's machine, but I've tried
it on my own machine and it passed.

So here's my +1. SUCCESS! [0:59:35.291572]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
I found a way to disable the log4shell patch on my work machine, and got a pass:

SUCCESS! [1:00:57.577806]

I don't think we need to be concerned about trying to adapt to this
thing. It only conflicts with the test framework, and devs can turn it
off to run tests. Somehow our automated builds don't seem to be
affected.

so, +1 from me

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Julie for summarizing the issues.
I've got SUCCESS on the second run:

SUCCESS! [1:45:55.377066]

So, +1 from me as well.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.1.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone, I am headed out of town for a week without internet access.
Adrien has agreed to take over as release manager in my absence (thank you
Adrien!!) We are already past 72 hours and have a good number of votes, so
hopefully things will go smoothly this week.

Julie

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 1:55 AM Mayya Sharipova