Mailing List Archive

Generate autocomplete predictions
Hi

I recently implemened auto-suggest based on

https://lucene.apache.org/core/9_0_0/suggest/index.html

whereas I am currently managing the terms / predictions (e.g.
"autocompletion using lucene suggesters dev") contained by the index
manually.

I would like now to generate the terms / predictions more automatically,
similar to what Google does

https://blog.google/products/search/how-google-autocomplete-predictions-work/

Does Lucene provide code to analyze queries in order to generate terms /
predictions for an auto-suggest index?

If not, would it make sense to contribute this kind of functionality to
Lucene or should this be rather a third-party library?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Generate autocomplete predictions [ In reply to ]
Hi Michael,

This sounds like a good fit for Lucene to me.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 11:15 PM Michael Wechner
<michael.wechner@wyona.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I recently implemened auto-suggest based on
>
> https://lucene.apache.org/core/9_0_0/suggest/index.html
>
> whereas I am currently managing the terms / predictions (e.g.
> "autocompletion using lucene suggesters dev") contained by the index
> manually.
>
> I would like now to generate the terms / predictions more automatically,
> similar to what Google does
>
> https://blog.google/products/search/how-google-autocomplete-predictions-work/
>
> Does Lucene provide code to analyze queries in order to generate terms /
> predictions for an auto-suggest index?
>
> If not, would it make sense to contribute this kind of functionality to
> Lucene or should this be rather a third-party library?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

Adrien

Re: Generate autocomplete predictions [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien

Thanks for your feedback!

From a "project management" point of view how do I best do this?

Should I just create a Pull Request with a first prototype, or discuss
the design first in Jira tickets?

Thanks

Michael

Re: Generate autocomplete predictions [ In reply to ]
Hey Michael,

I like discussing ideas in JIRA first, but sometimes attaching a rough
prototype can help show how things tie together. I guess the thing you want
to avoid is to spend hours on the prototype but otherwise either is fine.

Re: Generate autocomplete predictions [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien

Ok :-)

I think I will try to do a very rough prototype first, just to get a
better idea and then use for discussion in JIRA.

Thanks

Michael