Mailing List Archive

gradlew check failure
Hi.

I'm getting the following gradlew check failure with Java 17 on the lucene
main branch:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalAccessError: class
com.google.googlejavaformat.java.JavaInput (in unnamed module @0x3d6a6107)
cannot access class com.sun.tools.javac.parser.Tokens$TokenKind (in module
jdk.compiler) because module jdk.compiler does not export
com.sun.tools.javac.parser to unnamed module @0x3d6a6107

at
com.google.googlejavaformat.java.JavaInput.buildToks(JavaInput.java:349)

at
com.google.googlejavaformat.java.JavaInput.buildToks(JavaInput.java:334)

at
com.google.googlejavaformat.java.JavaInput.<init>(JavaInput.java:276)

at
com.google.googlejavaformat.java.Formatter.getFormatReplacements(Formatter.java:280)

at
com.google.googlejavaformat.java.Formatter.formatSource(Formatter.java:267)

at
com.google.googlejavaformat.java.Formatter.formatSource(Formatter.java:233)

... 142 more

Is there a step I'm missing in the setup process?

Thanks,
Joel
Re: gradlew check failure [ In reply to ]
Hey Joel,

The fix for this is to delete the gradle.properties file in the root directory and stop any daemons before running gradle check again. The build will regenerate the gradle.properties file with some module exports that work around this problem in the formatter.

- A

Re: gradlew check failure [ In reply to ]
Is there a way to check for these missing module exports early and fail
with a more informative message?

Re: gradlew check failure [ In reply to ]
AIUI no, it’s a problem when loading gradle’s JVM, but Dawid might have a better idea?

Re: gradlew check failure [ In reply to ]
I stopped the gradle daemon (./gradlew --stop) and deleted the
gradle.properties. I'm still getting the same error though. My new
gradle.properties has the following:

org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx3g \

--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.api=ALL-UNNAMED \

--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.file=ALL-UNNAMED \

--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.parser=ALL-UNNAMED \

--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.tree=ALL-UNNAMED \

--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.util=ALL-UNNAMED

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Re: gradlew check failure [ In reply to ]
> AIUI no, it’s a problem when loading gradle’s JVM, but Dawid might have a better idea?

No better ideas, sorry. This 'gradle.properties' file is a convenience
template - it is there for folks to modify and tweak. Occasionally
we'll have to add things there (or modify things there) and they won't
be picked up automatically. Sadly, we can't have two such files (one
with defaults, one with local overrides) - I find this a shortcoming
in gradle too.

We could add some kind of versioning to this file manually (and fail
if an older "version" is detected) but I'm not even sure how such a
thing would be supposed to work.

D.