could not track down the vote email thread, perhaps because it was a PMC
email.

I feel something like it could bring a few different developer personas to
both Apache Lucene and Apache SOLR, and probably some interest from some
past and future corporate sponsors. I'd love to better understand what went
wrong and what it would take to reboot it.

Thank you all for your contributions,

Marcus Eagan
Re: The Retired Open Relevance Project [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 9:57 PM Marcus Eagan <marcuseagan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there anyone here that has any information on what happened with the Open Relevance Project? I saw that there was a vote and it was discontinued here. I could not track down the vote email thread, perhaps because it was a PMC email.
>
> I feel something like it could bring a few different developer personas to both Apache Lucene and Apache SOLR, and probably some interest from some past and future corporate sponsors. I'd love to better understand what went wrong and what it would take to reboot it.
>
> Thank you all for your contributions,
>
> Marcus Eagan

Hi Marcus, I think at the time, not many people in academia were using
lucene for these kinds of experiments. Also, not many people working
on lucene had basic necessary things such as access to the relevant
datasets that you need to run these experiments. I don't think we had
the adequate time to invest in it anyway, probably because we are
developers and not researchers. So the project didn't really make much
progress.

I think these days, the anserini toolkit fills the missing gaps
perfectly: https://github.com/castorini/anserini

Re: The Retired Open Relevance Project [ In reply to ]
Makes a lot of sense. I have only seen Anserini in passing. It looks great.

I will dig in. Thanks Robert!