Here is the link to the PR for those interested:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/579.

I just updated the ASF Jenkins jobs that run on the main branch to use
JDK 17 instead of JDK 11. Uwe, can you check whether Policeman Jenkins
also needs updating?

This change will _not_ be backported to branch_9x and other branches.

--
Adrien

RE: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien,

I updated the jobs and their randomization to only randomize >=17 for RUNTIME_JAVA_HOME and use JDK 17 as Gradle JDK (JAVA_HOME).

Later today I only need to update to latest jdk-17 bugfix release, currently it is GA release only.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Uwe!

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 11:07 AM Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Hi Adrien,
>
> I updated the jobs and their randomization to only randomize >=17 for RUNTIME_JAVA_HOME and use JDK 17 as Gradle JDK (JAVA_HOME).
>
> Later today I only need to update to latest jdk-17 bugfix release, currently it is GA release only.
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien

RE: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien again,

I just noticed: Spotless now fails on main builds, is this expected? I have the feeling you updated it only in the new branch. So will you merge very soon or should I revert? I think merging now may be better as its lot of work.

Uwe

-----

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
This seems to be due to the fact that it's using an old
gradle.properties file that doesn't have the module exports that Dawid
added as part of LUCENE-10066.
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/259/files#diff-fbdfae634c6898f4a415bc2a278ff771c38436d70b0e64250ab068b4b3e58426R48-R52

Let me look into whether I can make the ASF Jenkins recreate its
gradle.properties.

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
To clarify, merging the PR wouldn't address the test failures.

--
Adrien

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
I just updated the gradle.properties file under "Config files" to add
the module exports to JVM args, the next build should pass.

--
Adrien

RE: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
But Jenkins removes its gradle.properties file from the build directory before each build as it starts with a clean checkout.

So it is not understandable to me. It recreated the file: https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-main-Linux/ws/gradle.properties/*view*/
See also timestamp: https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-main-Linux/ws/

I have seen that you updated the format in the PR.

Uwe

-----

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Your gradle.properties looks good, it shouldn't hit the same issue as
the ASF Jenkins. The gradle.properties of the ASF Jenkins looked like
this before I updated it:

```
# Disable Gradle daemon for all builds.
org.gradle.daemon=false

# Lucene specific settings for lucene2 build nodes
systemProp.file.encoding=UTF-8
org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx3g
org.gradle.workers.max=4
tests.jvms=4
tests.multiplier=2
```

And now:

```
# Disable Gradle daemon for all builds.
org.gradle.daemon=false

# Lucene specific settings for lucene2 build nodes
systemProp.file.encoding=UTF-8
org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx3g \
--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.api=ALL-UNNAMED \
--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.file=ALL-UNNAMED \
--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.parser=ALL-UNNAMED \
--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.tree=ALL-UNNAMED \
--add-exports jdk.compiler/com.sun.tools.javac.util=ALL-UNNAMED
org.gradle.workers.max=4
tests.jvms=4
tests.multiplier=2
```

I was seeing a few errors in precommit in early versions of the linked
PR, so I wanted to make sure I was using the most up-to-date versions
of dependencies before attempting any fix. But to my knowledge this
new version doesn't address the failure that we saw on the ASF
Jenkins.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 11:33 AM Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> But Jenkins removes its gradle.properties file from the build directory before each build as it starts with a clean checkout.
>
> So it is not understandable to me. It recreated the file: https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-main-Linux/ws/gradle.properties/*view*/
> See also timestamp: https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-main-Linux/ws/
>
> I have seen that you updated the format in the PR.
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien

RE: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On my jenkins all nodes had a local gradle.properties file in their home directory to setup node-specific values. As Gradle searches for all those files and applies them, the node-specific ones now only have the daemon disable and the number of workers. Everything else I removed.

So it will now read the user one and then the build-dir local one.

Uwe

-----

RE: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

it still fails with Policeman Jenkins and I think we can't easily fix this until we patch the build file, too:

Policeman Jenkins uses the feature of RUNTIME_JAVA_HOME. If that is enabled, javac will be forked and runs as a separate process. And this separate process seems to not get the gradle properties. But I am not fully sure about that because I have no idea how Spotless works.

I have to try to reproduce this locally to understand why this is happening.

I am out of office now, so I disabled Policeman Jenkins builds until I can check this.

Uwe

-----

RE: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
I think I know: On Policeman Jenkins it starts with clean checkout always (same on ASF Jenkins), but ASF Jenkins places the config file template after checkout. So there's no gradle.properties file. On policeman, I have to replicate the full file into the global jenkins one. An alternative is to run jenkins 2 times: Once before main job just to create the file and then execute full build.

Will do in afternoon, it's disabled until then.
Uwe

-----

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Hi Uwe,

There is no hurry to merge the pull request, so feel free to go back
to JDK 11 on Policeman Jenkins and I'll merge the PR when everything
is ready.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 12:08 PM Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> I think I know: On Policeman Jenkins it starts with clean checkout always (same on ASF Jenkins), but ASF Jenkins places the config file template after checkout. So there's no gradle.properties file. On policeman, I have to replicate the full file into the global jenkins one. An alternative is to run jenkins 2 times: Once before main job just to create the file and then execute full build.
>
> Will do in afternoon, it's disabled until then.
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien

RE: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
Hi Adrien,

all is setup. I copied an example file over and just added the jvm/worker props and gradle daemon shit. Actually the gradle.properties stuff is a bit shitty to handle in CI environments, as you always have to workaround some shortcomings of gradle.

I'd prefer to have some local copy always available in checkout folder that’s also updated by git pull. And then another "private one" next to it. The Github-supplied one should include a local one. With Ant this was muc better as it was inside build.xml logic and we were able to customize it. Here it only loads 3 places and those in some un-intuitive order.

Nevertheless, jobs are back enabled and you can merge.

Uwe

-----

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
> And then another "private one" next to it. The Github-supplied one
should include a local one.

I'd love such a solution too. But there is no way to do it, as far as I
know - these properties are read early on (they determine jvm settings).
Also, these settings do depend on the local environment so there's no
one-fits-all setup. I typically work around this problem in CI jobs by
running gradlew help first, followed by the actual task. github workflows
are set up this way.

D.

Dawid

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
I confirmed that the Lucene-Check-main job now passes:
https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene/job/Lucene-Check-main/.

On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 2:49 PM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> > And then another "private one" next to it. The Github-supplied one should include a local one.
>
> I'd love such a solution too. But there is no way to do it, as far as I know - these properties are read early on (they determine jvm settings). Also, these settings do depend on the local environment so there's no one-fits-all setup. I typically work around this problem in CI jobs by running gradlew help first, followed by the actual task. github workflows are set up this way.
>
> D.
>
> Dawid
>
> On Thu, Jan 6, 2022 at 2:35 PM Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Adrien,
>>
>> all is setup. I copied an example file over and just added the jvm/worker props and gradle daemon shit. Actually the gradle.properties stuff is a bit shitty to handle in CI environments, as you always have to workaround some shortcomings of gradle.
>>
>> I'd prefer to have some local copy always available in checkout folder that’s also updated by git pull. And then another "private one" next to it. The Github-supplied one should include a local one. With Ant this was muc better as it was inside build.xml logic and we were able to customize it. Here it only loads 3 places and those in some un-intuitive order.
>>
>> Nevertheless, jobs are back enabled and you can merge.
>>
>> Uwe
>>
>> -----
>> Uwe Schindler
>> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
>> https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien

Re: Heads up: main branch will soon require Java 17 [ In reply to ]
I merged the PR that bumps the minimum required Java version to 17
earlier today.

--
Adrien