Mailing List Archive

[IMPORTANT] - ci.apache.org and CMS Shutdown end of January 2022
Hi All,

(This email is BCC many (19) lists, please reply to builds@apache.org only)

Infra has set a FINAL date of January 31st 2022 for the turn off of
ci.apache.org. This includes all of its nodes , of which the CMS node is
one. Therefore the CMS is also going to be gone on the 31st January 2022.

Any project that still uses the CMS in any way shape or form, MUST migrate
to another build and publish method.

Any project using ci.apache.org for the building and testing/publishing of
CI builds MUST also migrate away to another CI - the direct replacement is
ci2.apache.org the new Buildbot 3.2 based instance. Publishing of Javadocs
and versioned websites etc that normally publish to ci.apache.org/projects
will need to migrate their jobs to ci2.apache.org and publish results to
nightlies.apache.org instead (via an rsync step).

Projects have been repeatedly informed of the deprecation of both
ci.apache.org and also the CMS itself, so this notice should not be a
surprise to anybody.

If you don't have an INFRA ticket already open, or you don't know if there
is an INFRA ticket already open for your project, please open one
immediately so that we can get working on your migration ASAP. One or two
projects I know of have a non-standard setup of publishing and so the
earlier we get started the better.

Below is a list of projects I know to still be using either the CMS (in
whole or in part) and ci.apache.org for CI builds, there may be more.

Projects fully using the CMS
======================

Commons
DB (and subprojects)
Hive
Oozie

Projects partially using the CMS
=========================

Lucene
CXF
Tapestry
Santuario
Geronimo
Nutch

All the above except Nutch I believe are exporting from Confluence and
committing to
svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/ - I have been working on an
alternate
method that does not involve the CMS agent (or its dependents like
build_external.pl)
CXF and Tapestry at least have INFRA tickets open regarding this.

Projects using ci.apache.org for CI jobs
================================

The Board - board-site build.
Perl/mod_perl - several test builds.
AsterixDB - docs build
HTTPD - test builds
Juddi - Several test builds
OpenJPA - Several test builds
Creadur - Several test builds
JMeter - test builds
OpenNLP - site build ?
Commons - site build ?
Ponymail - site build ?
TrafficServer - Test Build + site build ?
Tapestry - test build

All builds that need migrating can be seen on this page:

https://ci.apache.org/buildslaves

Ok, those are the details, lets get started please people

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Gavin McDonald
Systems Administrator
ASF Infrastructure Team
RE: [IMPORTANT] - ci.apache.org and CMS Shutdown end of January 2022 [ In reply to ]
Hi Gavin,

From Lucene’s point of view everything should be fine (also for recently introduced Solr project). We just use the Subversion for static resources to commit our Javadocs, generated Documentation and Refguide static HTML there so the webserver picks them up using an Alias. This no longer has anything to do with the CMS: The CMS bot is disabled and the whole CMS source folder also removed from SVN.

If you would like to move that to another place in Subversion, let’s open an Issue. But We need a place where to store huge number of files and resources outside of CMS git and like for dist.apache.org, subversion and svnpubsub is the much better infrastructure. Nightlies server is not applicable as it needs to be versioned and persistent on the lucene/solr subdomains.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

uschindler@apache.org

ASF Member, Member of PMC and Committer of Apache Lucene and Apache Solr

Bremen, Germany

https://lucene.apache.org/

https://solr.apache.org/

Infra has set a FINAL date of January 31st 2022 for the turn off of ci.apache.org <http://ci.apache.org> . This includes all of its nodes , of which the CMS node is one. Therefore the CMS is also going to be gone on the 31st January 2022.

Any project that still uses the CMS in any way shape or form, MUST migrate to another build and publish method.

Any project using ci.apache.org <http://ci.apache.org> for the building and testing/publishing of CI builds MUST also migrate away to another CI - the direct replacement is ci2.apache.org <http://ci2.apache.org> the new Buildbot 3.2 based instance. Publishing of Javadocs and versioned websites etc that normally publish to ci.apache.org/projects <http://ci.apache.org/projects> will need to migrate their jobs to ci2.apache.org <http://ci2.apache.org> and publish results to nightlies.apache.org <http://nightlies.apache.org> instead (via an rsync step).

Projects have been repeatedly informed of the deprecation of both ci.apache.org <http://ci.apache.org> and also the CMS itself, so this notice should not be a surprise to anybody.

Below is a list of projects I know to still be using either the CMS (in whole or in part) and ci.apache.org <http://ci.apache.org> for CI builds, there may be more.

Projects fully using the CMS
======================

Commons
DB (and subprojects)
Hive
Oozie

Projects partially using the CMS
=========================

Lucene
CXF
Tapestry
Santuario

Geronimo

Nutch

All the above except Nutch I believe are exporting from Confluence and committing to

svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/ <http://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/production/> - I have been working on an alternate

method that does not involve the CMS agent (or its dependents like build_external.pl <http://build_external.pl> )

CXF and Tapestry at least have INFRA tickets open regarding this.

Projects using ci.apache.org <http://ci.apache.org> for CI jobs

================================

Re: [IMPORTANT] - ci.apache.org and CMS Shutdown end of January 2022 [ In reply to ]
Hi Uwe,

On Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 1:14 PM Uwe Schindler <uschindler@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gavin,
>

> From Lucene’s point of view everything should be fine (also for recently
> introduced Solr project). We just use the Subversion for static resources
> to commit our Javadocs, generated Documentation and Refguide static HTML
> there so the webserver picks them up using an Alias. This no longer has
> anything to do with the CMS: The CMS bot is disabled and the whole CMS
> source folder also removed from SVN.
>

> If you would like to move that to another place in Subversion, let’s open
> an Issue. But We need a place where to store huge number of files and
> resources outside of CMS git and like for dist.apache.org, subversion and
> svnpubsub is the much better infrastructure. Nightlies server is not
> applicable as it needs to be versioned and persistent on the lucene/solr
> subdomains.

No need, I checked and we already moved you to the new svn location of
svn.apache.org/repos/infra/sites .
I have marked off Lucene as complete

Thanks!

--