Mailing List Archive

Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0
I updated the dependencies of Solr's main branch to Lucene 9.0

On Mac and Linux, the following error occurs sometimes:
https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Solr-main-Linux/2070/testReport/junit/org.ap
ache.solr.request/SimpleFacetsTest/testRangeFacetFilterVsDocValuesRandom/
https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Solr-main-MacOSX/517/testReport/junit/org.ap
ache.solr/TestRandomDVFaceting/testRandomFaceting/

"ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Index -1 out of bounds for length 1" at
org.apache.lucene.util.packed.DirectMonotonicReader.get(DirectMonotonicReade
r.java:161)

This looks like a bug (or is Solr not using something with docvalues
correctly, but an AIOOBE should not happen)!

When searching through the failure mails, it looks like this was already
there with the Lucene preview from summer 2021.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de
eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de

Re: Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0 [ In reply to ]
Uwe, it looks a little crazy:

we've got asserts here that "index" is in bounds and certainly not -1
right before the method call!
https://github.com/apache/lucene/blob/main/lucene/core/src/java/org/apache/lucene/codecs/lucene90/Lucene90DocValuesProducer.java#L1123-L1125

Re: Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0 [ In reply to ]
I checked out the commit hash and re-ran the test with the same seed,
it doesn't fail. I only ran the test twice, once with
TieredStopAtLevel=1 and once without that.

Given that the stacktrace looks "impossible", i suspect this might be
an openjdk issue? I assume this test usually reproduces failures for
given random seeds?

Re: Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0 [ In reply to ]
I also generally tried to "beast" this
SimpleFacetsTest.testRangeFacetFilterVsDocValuesRandom without any
seed at all (JDK 17/linux), but I didn't manage to provoke any
failures.

Re: Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0 [ In reply to ]
I was just able to reproduce this on my local macOS machine with

gradlew test --tests TestRandomDVFaceting.testRandomFaceting
-Dtests.seed=3B93BA61C91F26D4 -Dtests.slow=true -Dtests.locale=uz-Latn
-Dtests.timezone=America/Santa_Isabel -Dtests.asserts=true
-Dtests.file.encoding=UTF-8

on commit 0287458f836

with openjdk version "11.0.13"

Re: Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0 [ In reply to ]
Sorry, meant to add that the reproduction is before the update to lucene
9.0.0 release. But I'm also able to reproduce it after the upgrade, like
Uwe noted.

RE: Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0 [ In reply to ]
I was able to reproduce the problems with JDK 11.0.13 and also JDK 17:

export TEST_JVM_ARGS=-XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+UseG1GC
gradlew :solr:core:test -Ptests.iters=1000 --tests TestRandomDVFaceting.testRandomFaceting -Dtests.seed=3B93BA61C91F26D4 -Dtests.slow=true -Dtests.locale=uz-Latn -Dtests.timezone=America/Santa_Isabel -Dtests.asserts=true -Dtests.file.encoding=UTF-8

This is important to do:
* use -Ptests.iters=1000 to run the same test over and over in same JVM
* use the above TEST_JVM_ARGS to not run it with tiered compilation turned off.

It looks like a JVM issue in all JVMs after 11. So this is a serious bug. In Lucene tests we havent seen this!

Uwe

-----

Re: Strange error in Solr with Lucene 9.0.0 [ In reply to ]
I'm able to reproduce this TestRandomDVFaceting one with Uwe's
instructions. Just had no luck with the SimpleFacets test i was trying
earlier.