would not be so frequently changed but having some sanity checks is
always good.

While there seem to be a few testing frameworks for Java GUI, I cannot
say I have sufficient experience to select a better tool for us (Luke
is the only desktop application I've ever written).
Your advice is helpful.

Thanks,
Tomoko

Re: Swing app automation test [ In reply to ]
Hi Tomoko,

Many of the things that popped up recently could be done with regular tests
- only organized
a little bit differently. For example, I envision adding a parameter
"--test-mode" which would cause Luke to dump some
diagnostic information about the stuff it "sees" in SPIs, etc. - this
information would then be confronted with an existing
expectation. It doesn't even need to start in full GUI mode (which is
always a problem with headless CIs).

Some of these tests will have to be written for the "module mode" as proper
integration tests. It's all coming at us anyway.

More to your question - no, I never found a GUI test framework that would
require way more maintenance than
the application itself...

Dawid

Re: Swing app automation test [ In reply to ]
Hi Dawid,

I agree with plain tests without the GUI are the best. Regarding Luke,
I think it'd be helpful if we check values that are obtained from the
outside module/data and used to populate the Swing components (lists,
dropdowns, etc.) - this might be the simplest form of the integration
test.

Tomoko

Re: Swing app automation test [ In reply to ]
Yes - that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. My suggestion was to add
an internal parameter to Luke because then it can be run as an application
(an isolated jvm forked from within an integration test) - something that
it hard to ensure if you use unit tests.