You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:

python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.0.0-RC2-rev-95072f3b71e67e308d71a6149323bf7dd04c8f75

The vote will be open until 2021-11-26 09:00 UTC.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1

--
Adrien

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
+1 SUCCESS! [0:20:30.247277]

Ran smoketester and browsed around the archives. Lincense and Notice on top-level of src dist looks good.

Tested launching Luke from bin/luke.sh - OK
Minor: Luke started on macOS Monterey complains about Times font not being available:
> Warning: the fonts "Times" and "Times" are not available for the Java logical font "Serif", which may have unexpected appearance or behavior. Re-enable the "Times" font to remove this warning.

Minor: README.md in binary dist says "The following sub-folders are included in the binary distribution of Lucene: bin/, modules/, modules-thirdparty/, licenses/". But it fails to mention "docs/" and "modules-test-framework/"

Jan

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Adrien for addressing one half of the back compat problem.

Unfortunately, the "branch_8x" branch is still live and running hot,
same as before.
So I have to again give my -1 VOTE, due to the fact that backwards
compatibility can't be guaranteed.
Given that it is being expanded to TWO major releases, this is a major
commitment that we have to take seriously.
At a ~ 2.5 year average major release rate, that's up to *7.5 years*
to fully remove a mistake, for example.

So I really do think we need things in order here, despite some
backwards neanderthal thinking that wants to always stay on the same
release and java 1.4 and so on.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
+1 SUCCESS! [0:19:28.854798]

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
I ran the smoke tester to SUCCESS! - sorry, I lost the timing in my
terminal scrollback, but it is so fast :) Also ran unit tests of our
service after upgrading, and although there are some fails, it all
looks like we are stumbling over our own feet - not Lucene issues.

+1 to release

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
and ... now all the tests are passing; no change to Lucene needed.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi Jan,
thanks for testing and reporting it.

> Minor: Luke started on macOS Monterey complains about Times font not being available:
> Warning: the fonts "Times" and "Times" are not available for the Java logical font "Serif", which may have unexpected appearance or behavior. Re-enable the "Times" font to remove this warning.

I opened an issue.

I can't reproduce it, for now, but it seems not to be critical to run
a program that depends on Serif fonts.
https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/1571348-why-do-i-receive-the-error-warning-the-font-times-is-not-available-when-starting-matlab-on-maco

Tomoko

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
SUCCESS! [0:17:25.661795]

I checked Windows artifacts and scripts.

+1.

Dawid

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
+1

SUCCESS! [0:21:35.63292]

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 2:10 PM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please vote for release candidate 2 for Lucene 9.0.0
>
> The artifacts can be downloaded from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.0.0-RC2-rev-95072f3b71e67e308d71a6149323bf7dd04c8f75
>
> You can run the smoke tester directly with this command:
>
> python3 -u dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py \
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/lucene/lucene-9.0.0-RC2-rev-95072f3b71e67e308d71a6149323bf7dd04c8f75
>
> The vote will be open until 2021-11-26 09:00 UTC.
>
> [ ] +1 approve
> [ ] +0 no opinion
> [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
>
> Here is my +1
>
> --
> Adrien

Atri
Apache Concerted

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

although the smoke teste succeeded by Jenkins:
https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Release-Tester/6/console

...my manual review ran into problems:
- Luke did not start for me, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10259 (fix is easy, just quotes missing in shell scripts). Because on Windows it uses "javaw" and not "java", you don’t even see an error message which is fatal!

So -1 to release (sorry, we need a test with whitespace, e.g. smoketester should check this, but starting luke is hard inside smoker).

What looks fine:
- Javadocs are very nice the home page of docs folder looks fine
- Licenses are OK
- The three folders with JAR files are good, very easy to understand.

Home dir is also good.

I did not do a real project with Maven, because I have no pure-lucene one available. I would need solr-9.0.0, too ????

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Thanks Uwe, let's consider this vote failed.

On LUCENE-10255, there's a reference to issues with the Luke Analysis
UI, is it something we can fix as well for RC3?

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 7:00 PM Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> although the smoke teste succeeded by Jenkins:
> https://jenkins.thetaphi.de/job/Lucene-Release-Tester/6/console
>
> ...my manual review ran into problems:
> - Luke did not start for me, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10259 (fix is easy, just quotes missing in shell scripts). Because on Windows it uses "javaw" and not "java", you don’t even see an error message which is fatal!
>
> So -1 to release (sorry, we need a test with whitespace, e.g. smoketester should check this, but starting luke is hard inside smoker).
>
> What looks fine:
> - Javadocs are very nice the home page of docs folder looks fine
> - Licenses are OK
> - The three folders with JAR files are good, very easy to understand.
>
> Home dir is also good.
>
> I did not do a real project with Maven, because I have no pure-lucene one available. I would need solr-9.0.0, too ????
>
> Uwe
>
> -----
> Uwe Schindler
> Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
> https://www.thetaphi.de

Adrien

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
I found another bug in Luke:

Implementation version no longer shows. May have to do with this class LuceneVersion no longer getting Implementation-Version from the module JAR.

This is not serious, but would be good to fix in a respin. Will open issue.

-----

<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10259> > 10259 (fix is easy, just quotes missing in shell scripts). Because on Windows it

RE: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
See: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10260

-----

eMail: uwe@thetaphi.de <mailto:uwe@thetaphi.de>

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
> On LUCENE-10255, there's a reference to issues with the Luke Analysis
> UI, is it something we can fix as well for RC3?

Rather than making the old UI work with the module system, I would remove
it (at least for now).
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/475

Could I backport it to branch_9_0?

Tomoko

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Sorry Tomoko I'm just seeing your message now. Please go ahead and backport
to branch_9_0.

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I think all Luke-related blockers or issues were resolved. Other minor
issues that come from (partially) adopting the module system could pop up,
they will be handled in future releases.

Thanks,
Tomoko

Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene 9.0.0 RC2 [ In reply to ]
+1 Thanks Tomoko.