Mailing List Archive

Time to write an open-source book?
Hi Devs,

I'm finally motivated enough to start this thread as I believe this is a
great thing to do for the Lucene community to continuously thrive as the
library has become so feature-rich but as the same time much more complex.

"What do you recommend to read for learning more Lucene?" -- A question I
was often asked by my friends and coworkers at Amazon Product Search . I'm
sure many of you have experienced the same. I always recommend Lucene In
Action 2nd Edition[1] which is a great book. However, it features Lucene 3.0
and we are at Lucene 9.0 now! There is a huge gap.

Inspired by my recent experience with the Rust Book[2] and the Solr ref
guide[3], I believe it is possible for the Lucene community to collaborate
on writing a book/user guide just like how the software is built in the
open-source way!

Concretely, it will require to first draw the outline of the book with clear
intentions for all sections. Then the effort should be able to scale, allow-
ing individuals to work on different sections in parallel. Once built, the
book should be a live artifact and evolve together with Lucene.

Thoughts?

[1] https://www.amazon.com/Lucene-Action-Second-Covers-Apache/dp/1933988177
[2] https://github.com/rust-lang/book
[3] https://github.com/apache/solr/tree/main/solr/solr-ref-guide

Thanks,
Tony
Re: Time to write an open-source book? [ In reply to ]
I think this would be great and I would be very happy to contribute.

For example I am currently trying to understand how the autocomplete /
auto suggest functionality of Lucene works and I could contribute my
learnings.

All the best

Michael

Re: Time to write an open-source book? [ In reply to ]
There is a book called *Practical Apache Lucene 8* from 2020

https://www.adlibris.com/fi/kirja/practical-apache-lucene-8-9781484263440

--
Abraços
Carlos Sponchiado
Re: Time to write an open-source book? [ In reply to ]
+1, great idea.