Hello,

Assuming CI is green and no blockers have been raised until then, I plan to
build the first release candidate for Lucene/Solr 8.11 on Thursday November
4th.

Please let me know if you are aware of any blocker that we should address
before building the first RC.

--
Adrien
Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
Hey Adrien,

A pretty bad bug in Solr backups came in last week or so: SOLR-15706.
If it's not too late I'd like to try to get it into 8.11. Would that
be ok?

I'm just digging into things now so I don't have a complete
understanding yet, but I'm optimistic it won't long delay your
timeline for cutting the RC.

Best,

Jason

Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
Hi Jason,

This looks bad indeed. Please feel free to backport to 8.11 and update this
thread when you are done?

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 8:24 PM Jason Gerlowski <gerlowskija@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hey Adrien,
>
> A pretty bad bug in Solr backups came in last week or so: SOLR-15706.
> If it's not too late I'd like to try to get it into 8.11. Would that
> be ok?
>
> I'm just digging into things now so I don't have a complete
> understanding yet, but I'm optimistic it won't long delay your
> timeline for cutting the RC.
>
> Best,
>
> Jason
>
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 1:31 PM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Assuming CI is green and no blockers have been raised until then, I plan
> to build the first release candidate for Lucene/Solr 8.11 on Thursday
> November 4th.
> >
> > Please let me know if you are aware of any blocker that we should
> address before building the first RC.
> >
> > --
> > Adrien

Adrien
Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
Jason's above issue isn't fixed yet but it looks like we should be able to
have a fix in the very near future.

However we seem to still have these two other open Solr blockers for 8.11:
- SOLR-14438 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14438>: Mention
decodeAES in LICENSE.txt
- SOLR-15762 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15762>:
IllegalStateException:
Recursive update thrown when executing complex Join queries

Can someone who is more familiar with Solr than I am help confirm that we
should indeed treat these two issues as blockers?

--
Adrien
Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
Joel recommended not treating SOLR-15762 as a blocker, so we are left with
the following issues as blockers:
- SOLR-15706, which should hopefully be addressed soon.
- SOLR-14438, which hasn't had activity for a long time. Is someone
looking into it? Can someone comment on whether it should actually be
treated as a blocker for 8.11?

--
Adrien
Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
I added a PR https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/pull/2603 for SOLR-14438, that I had in the workings. I think it will do...

Jan

Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
Thanks Jan!

--
Adrien
Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
All blockers are now addressed, I'll proceed with building a release
candidate.

--
Adrien
Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
After additional discussion on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15762 I think there is a small
patch that would be nice to include for 8.11 if there is still time. Thanks

Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
OK, can you let me know when it's merged?

--
Adrien
Re: 8.11 release candidate [ In reply to ]
The Solr change has been merged. There's a good bugfix for concurrent
search that has been approved: https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/431,
so I'll wait for this one to be merged to branch_8_11 and I'll resume

--
Adrien